fourteen➵ lack of loyalty

"The only way to find true happiness is to risk being completely cut open."

- Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters

Evelyn's POV

    Today marks two weeks since the last time that I've seen Jack. Last time I hugged him. Last time I saw his familiar smirk; even the reminder of what I'm missing sends a chill through me.

    What has he done to me? I've never been one let down my guard...to anyone. I've never shown any type of romantic emotions to anyone, until Jack. I knew it though. I knew he was the one ever since the day I met him, I just refused to admit it to myself.

    Now, here I am, sailing the seas on his ship with the crew as we all hold our breath and wait for his arrival.

    "Captain Archer," I hear someone groan off to my right so I look down from where I'm sitting near the helm to see Anamaria walking closer with an annoyed look in her eyes.

    "That's the name, try not to wear it out," I snap back and she doesn't even flinch at my attitude. None of the them do anymore, they're all too used to my feistiness.

    "We've been docked for four days. We're running out of water, food-"

    "Rum." Gibbs cuts her off as he strolls by and I roll my eyes at the alcoholic.

    "What's your point?"

    "My point," She walks closer, taking a few weak steps up the stairs toward the upper deck, "Is that if Jack doesn't return by the end of the day...." She trails off, looking out at the open waters, probably hoping for him to return this very moment. You and me both.

    "Finish that sentence." I command, moving from my position so I'm now sitting with my back straight, legs dangling off the side of the ship. She gulps as she slowly turns back to me.

    "Look, it's nothing personal, Evelyn," Anamaria looks uneasy as she tells me this and I narrow my eyes. Jumping off of the perch I was seated on, I grab her arm and drag her to the back of the ship, her cursing my name in Spanish the entire way.

    When I let go of her, she has an angry gleam in her eyes but I pay it no mind. She and I both know I would kill her in a glaring contest. If that was even a thing.

    "What's nothing personal?" I demand an answer to her vagueness and she finally straightens her back and looks me dead in the way.

    "I've been hearing...murmurings," She trails off yet again, only heightening my annoyance, "About you." Anamaria finishes and I scrunch my eyebrows up in confusion.

    "What about me?" I ask, taking a step closer to her. She doesn't back down, which I'm surprised about because I do tower a few inches above her.

    "The crew has been...talking...about marooning you on an island if Jack doesn't-" I don't hear anymore because I'm pinning her against the door to the captain's quarters, one hand around her neck and the other on the wall behind her. She squirms in my grasp, her hands flying around as she tries to get me off of her while her face turns red.

    "Where did you hear about this?" I growl at her, and her eyes are bugging out of her head as she tries to breathe. Loosening my grip on her by a fraction of an inch so that she can get a bit of air and talk to me, she instantly takes a huge gulp of air. Before I can tell what's happening, she's caught me off guard, kicking me back by my stomach so I go flying off of her.

    She immediately takes her chance and pushes me down to the ground, her straddling me. I have a snarl on my face as she leans down closer, catching her breath as her face regains its normal complexion.