Chapter 30

"Get yer' Dodgerdogs, Crackerjacks and peanuts right here!" The vendor shouts above us as he makes his way down the steps of the second floor.

I look over at Kai and Elaine to see them perk up at the sound of food. I chuckle at their constant food craving and inform them, "You guys know that there's a buffet of free food downstairs right?"

Their eyes widen in disbelief before they jump out of their ground level seats and rush towards the said eating area.

"Oh the game's about to start!" I excitedly say to myself. The Dodgers file onto the field and I watch in delight from my cushy seat a few rows behind and to the left of home plate.

Kershaw warms up on the mound as the umpire gets settled and the first batter, Dextor Fowler for the Cubs, strides up to the batter's box.

I absentmindedly scan the field for familiar faces as I wait for the game to begin and recognize a bunch.

Corey, Kersh, JT, Gonzo, Utley, Pederson...Trayce...

A flurry of emotions hit me at the sight of him yet a small smile breaks through the anxious expression on my face. I fidget in my seat slightly overwhelmed when the announcer calls out the start of the game.

Of course, Kershaw starts the game off with two beautiful strikeouts and a groundout allowing the Dodgers to jog to the dugout to get ready for their at bats.

I hold my breath as I watch Trayce jog into the dugout and notice that his expression is stern and distant. To the average eye, Trayce looks as though he is solely focused on the game.

And while that may be true for the most part, I know for a fact that something's bothering him and I can't help but feel at fault.

The announcer calls Chase Utley's name followed by Chase walking to the plate with a pensive expression on his face.

After the first pitch is called a strike, I see Corey step out of the dugout and walk over to the on deck circle to get his batting equipment ready.

As he sprays his bat to gain better grip, he looks up into the crowd and meets my delighted gaze.

A grin brightens his face and I send him an equally joyful smile back accompanied by a thumbs up before he goes back to getting into his game time mindset.

Not much else happens for the rest of the inning resulting in us taking the field once again.

The battle continues through the next inning with a few hits from the Cubs however they are rendered fruitless once the Dodgers conclude a scoreless inning.

As the players get ready to bat again, I subtly search the dugout for Trayce. He walks over to the helmet shelf to grab his things and waits at the steps in a tense silence for his turn to bat.

My fingers fiddle anxiously as I watch his stern expression and silently wish that he'd look over at me. He makes his way to the on deck circle and keeps his eyes focused on the game.

I take my gaze off of Trayce once the crowd cheers in excitement. Looking back to the field to see what all the commotion is about, I see Adrian Gonzalez running as fast as he can towards third base.

He slides into the base just in time causing the crowd to erupt in rauring applaud, even louder than before.

Jake Arietta, pitcher for the Cubs, grips the ball tightly as he circles around the mound with a frustrated scowl on his face. Trayce walks up to the plate moments later and the crowd simmers down with hopeful anticipation.