Chapter 19

I step out of the shower and wrap a towel tightly around my body before walking in front of the mirror. I let out an exhausted sigh as I moisturize my damp body and go over the simple steps on how to get through tonight's gala.

Smile. Nothing's wrong. Be social. Nothing's wrong. People have it worse than you. Nothing's wrong.

My repetitive thoughts are cut off by a brisk knock on the door. "Yes?" I call out in response. "Are you alright Calia? Do you wanna talk about it? You went to bed right after I explained everything so we never really got the chance."

Time to practice.

I open the door to see a concerned Talia waiting patiently on the edge of my bed. I plaster on my most convincing smile and say, "Yeah I'm fine. This stuff happens, it's all apart of the circle of life right?"

She nods unconvinced but doesn't push it. "I love this dress, it's gonna look great on you tonight." A genuine smile temporarily graces my face as I look at the classy yet chic blue two piece resting on my bed.

"Yeah I'm happy we found it in my size!" I say in response. I pick out the simple accessories I want to wear with the dress and pull out my thin white heels.

"What? Calia has actually acquired a sense of style?!" Talia asks dramatically. I come close to chucking my heels at her but refrain and say a stilted, "Ha. Ha." instead.

After checking my phone for the time I announce, "Alright! It is 6:00 pm and Corey should be here to pick me up in an hour! So can you pretty please make me a quesadilla while I start getting ready?"

She raises an eyebrow in confusion and asks, "Isn't there gonna be food there?" I let out an exasperated huff and state, "Yeah, snazzy finger food with meat in it!"

For a moment she seems a bit shocked and asks, "You're still a vegetarian?" I roll my eyes and snap, "Pescatarian, now quesadilla! Please and thank you!" I head back into the bathroom to start on my hair while Talia makes her way to the kitchen.

After 30 solid minutes of perfecting my ideal hairstyle, I end up with it braided into a crown with little white flowers embedded in the braid. I put on a little mascara and a subtle rosy lipstick that doesn't draw too much attention before I head back into my room and make a beeline for the quesadilla.

As soon as I finish eating, I put on my outfit and accessories for the night and spray myself thoroughly with my favorite Victoria Secret perfume.

Stuffing all of my necessities in my 'special occasion only' white clutch, I walk into the living room and find Talia sitting across from Corey who's dressed in a blue and white plaid dress shirt, dark jeans and dark brown dress shoes.

Handsome as always.

"My goodness Corey I didn't know you were here! Have you been waiting long?" I ask feeling slightly guilty. He stands up and walks over to me saying, "No not at all, I was just talking to your sister. You look gorgeous by the way."

My cheeks heat up and I smile before saying, "Thank you, you look very handsome." He kisses me on the cheek and winks cheekily before stating, "Why thank you! Shall we go?" I laugh at his posh attitude and wrap my arm around his as we walk towards the front door.

Before we reach the threshold I turn around and say to Talia, "Alright I'm off, I have my phone on me in case there's an emergencies and Michelle is across the hall if you need anything."