Chapter 13

I sit patiently at a cozy table off in the corner of my favorite coffee shop. With a hot mug off black coffee and sugar in hand and a large blueberry muffin resting on the table, I gaze out the vast glass window watching the people walk by.

My attention is suddenly deterred when a figure sits down in the seat across from me. I turn to face them and find an exhausted looking Trayce giving me a weary smile.

"When was the last time you got a full night of sleep?" I ask in a worried tone.
Trayce seems a little thrown off at my sudden question and responds with a forced chuckle, "Well hello to you too."

My frown and concerned gaze remains as I look him over and observe his slouched shoulders and darkening eye bags.

"Are you okay?" I ask in a softer tone. He gives me a small smile in response and says, "Yeah I'm fine. I just have a lot on my mind lately."

I pep up ever so slightly due to my love/gift of giving good advice and state, "Well that's what I'm here for! Tell me what's on your mind." His eyes widen ever so slightly while he bites his lip and fidgets out of nervous habit.

"Let me go grab a coffee real quick and we'll continue this in a second" he says briefly. I nod in response and take a sip of my still hot French Roast coffee.

As I wait for him to order his drink, I break off a piece of my muffin and check my emails while trying to keep my thoughts at bay.

We're just friends Calia. Remember that.

He comes back a few minutes later with a large mug of coffee and a plate bearing a delicious looking chocolate croissant. Right as he sits down, he stares at my blueberry muffin with an odd expression.

My left eyebrow shoots up with curiosity and I ask, "Would you like some?" He shakes his head vigorously ending his daze and replies, "No thanks. Just...uhm deja vu."

I nod in response before saying, "So, talk to me." He looks at me quizzically for a brief moment before understanding what I meant and saying, "Well there's nothing new really, just the team and roommate stuff."

Isn't he roommates with Corey?

"Alright, let's start off with the team. What's stressing you out there?" I ask seriously.

He laughs briefly with dry humor and says, "It's always stressing me out. But I don't know, I just haven't gotten much playing time. I only really come in towards the end of the game and I sometimes feel like I'm an afterthought."

Taking every word in with earnest thought, I reply, "I hear where you're coming from when you say you feel like an afterthought; however, it's only the start of the season and with your talent and determination to improve, I can guarantee you're going to get more playing time in the future. You wouldn't be on the roster if you were simply an afterthought, your hard work is valued Trayce."

He looks as though he's at a loss for words so I smile and state, "Next! What's going on with your roommates?"

His face flushes of all color and he looks very similar to a deer in headlights. After realizing that he has an odd expression on his face, Trayce smiles nervously and says, "Oh it's not a big deal really."

Intrigued by his sudden change in demeanor, I state, "No tell me. Don't you have like 3 roommates?" He nods 'yes' before saying, "Yeah there's Joc Pederson, Ross Stripling and Corey."

I smile at hearing Corey's name but maintain conversation on the subject at hand, "What could possibly be wrong with roommates like that?"