Chapter 30: The Land of Second Chances

Chapter 30
The Land of Second Chances

The ground smells like blood, and I can feel that a war has been held here. There are skulls thrown everywhere, scattered around the area and it's making me sick. A turmoil runs inside my stomach, giving me a sickly feeling and I want to throw up. Sophie notices and scurries her way to me, checking to see if I'm okay, which I let her know. There are stains of bloods on the ground, as if it has been printed there for a very long time. Some are a color of red and some are a color of green.

Is the blood of demons green? I ask Peitho, my wolf that is resting, head low and tilting. He just gives me a shrug, a way of telling me that he hasn't seen a demon in his life.

I actually don't know what I would do if I ever see a demon, or a rogue, or a different creature that hates our kind. From what I've understood, werewolves have a lot of enemies and they are just not ordinary enemies. They are powerful entities. From vampires to rogues, it's creeping me out. The thought of me meeting one of them is making me dizzy all of a sudden.

Now that I'm here in the Spirit Realm, there's a high chance that I'd encounter them. I just hope that when I do, I have already found the portals that lead to different worlds. Who knows, maybe I'd be able to escape them without them harming me. Perhaps if I ever go faster, Perry would come and kill those creatures who would dare attack the mate of the Great Beta.

Heat rises up in my neck to my cheeks and I feel hot all of a sudden. I become feverish as heat continues to rise up on me, and I feel bothered. That's actually the first time that I have called Perry my mate and as the Great Beta. Just hearing the word, it sounds like mighty to my ears.

"Perry is strong," Peitho tells me as Sophie hums, twirling a strand of her hair. I decide to ignore her and focus on the path that we're taking. A low steam erupts on the ground and I jump, looking like a scared cat that has been followed by a couple of stray dogs in the street. "Steam. Hmm... interesting."

Peitho has been here for a very long time, and he knows how this world works. He has probably seen the worst here, considering that I can feel the fear that he gets even to the mere mention of the place itself. I have only been here once, but still I could feel the bad vibes that this place is giving me. There has been a bloodshed here; an inevitable fight that happened, I assume, recently.

The hair in my skin stands up as a howl of a wolf can be heard at a far distance. Sophie and I skid to a stop, turning our heads back, frantically searching if there's any creature near us. There's none. We both look at each other, wide eyes, as if expecting the worst that would come eventually but neither are prepared to face. I may have a wolf but that doesn't mean that I'm strong enough to physically fight the enemy. Sophie is just a spirit and I doubt that she could do any fighting.

"We should go," Sophie's scared tone rings in my ears, and the beat of my heart has become erratic. If she were not a spirit and rather have a human body, Sophie would have turned very pale. She's just a kid yet she's on this mission as my companion. "Before those wolves hunt us."

Our steps have become faster, and then sooner we're bolting across the drought and lifeless area. The beat of my heart hasn't still changed, it's still erratic. As the wind blows harder, stinging my eyes that I have to squint at the direction we're taking, another howl of a wolf that shakes my body, and this time, the sound is near, as if the the wolf is just three blocks away if we were in the downtown. I trip, being the clumsy person I am, over a small rock, half of its body sinking in the ground. I yelp as I fall, landing on the ground and a groan escapes my lips. Sophie looks at me worriedly, floating down and leaning down a bit just to check on me. She studies my contorted in pain face and looks at my foot, where a hand of mine is massaging it.

"Hurts a lot?" She asks in a sweet little voice that is coated with worried.

Nodding, I whimper as a pain erupts on my sprained foot. "I think it's sprained."

Sophie leans down a bit more. "It's turning red," she comments as her brows rise. When I take a look at my sprained foot, sure enough, there's a red patch forming on the skin and I groan out loud.

"It's going to heal," Peitho laments, not wanting to see me in pain. "Since I'm your wolf, you'll have a faster healing. Perhaps we need to rest for a few minutes before we start trekking again." He suggests. It may be a good idea, but staying here, in an unknown area where darkness could be lurking, I'm not going to risk it. Perhaps as of this moment everything is calm, but my point is the more we go farther, the farther the enemies get to us. It seems logical to me, but I doubt it's logical to the spirit that is beside me and to Peitho. "Don't worry, Dave. Everything is going to be alright. I'm here. If ever those monsters appear, then I'm going to take over your body and we'll start the first shift, which means you're going to let me out as a wolf form and I'm going to take control."

I know I'm not doubting my wolf when it comes to strength, but from what this place looks like, this is a really big place; there's probably a lot of enemies here, probably millions. I know he can defend himself, Sophie and I, but no matter how strong a person is, if the enemies unite, you'd lose. At least that's what I have learned, or I could be wrong.

Sophie begins to sing a song in a low voice as she plays, flipping her hair to the left and right. I decide that a few minutes of rest would do good, and that's it, we're going to start trekking again. Peitho is right though. I can feel the pain in my sprained foot subsides in an abnormal rate; it relaxes my whole body. I sigh in contentment, shutting my eyes for a few seconds before opening it.

The song ends suddenly.

Looking up to see Sophie with wide eyes and jaw hanging, I turn my head, looking over my shoulder to see what has gotten her and when I do, there's a headless figure approaching towards us. Its body has holes, and it's spewing green blood on the ground. A scream escapes my lips, turning around and crawling backwards, eyes still straight to the headless figure.

Peitho tells me to calm down and that it would do me good. Panic rises in my throat, bubbling inside my chest, making me feel sick again. When I try to stand up straight, I stumble a lot and after a few attempts, when I have successfully balanced myself, we run again, scream escaping my lips.

Peitho is ready to take over, but I refuse to let him.

Since there's only one enemy, I figure that it's only one and that we could just outrun him. There's no need to waste his energy for just one enemy. Running is going to tire me, and not him, and if we ever encounter enemies (well, I hope not!), then I'm going to let him take over me. I manage to block his words in my head, and Peitho seems really pissed at me for not letting him take over. I reason with him and let him know my thoughts. He sighs loudly, hesitantly agreeing with me. Sophie's face is still etched with a scared expression, and I stifle a laugh despite what we've seen.

For a ghost, she's really terrified to see something that looks like a ghost to her.

When I turn my head back to the headless figure, it seems to stop for a while before turning its direction to us. The headless figure is walking slowly, and every time it moves, it seems like it's being paralyzed or something as it's viciously shaking, as if it's being tasered a bazillion times.

Sophie and I keep running until we lose the sight of the headless figure. I sign in relief, bending down and resting my palms on my knees.

"This is a living nightmare," the little spirit whines, frustrated.

I chuckle. "I agree with you, Sophie. I agree with you."

******************************

Author's Note: Hi, guys! I just a favor to ask! When you see any ads appear after you have read a certain chapter of my stories, please watch the ad/video as I'd get paid by doing that. Wattpad has offered me something nice, and I actually agreed with them. With this, I'd get paid while doing the thing I really love, which makes me so happy.

This means a lot to me, really.
So thank you in advance!
Lovelots, Mike!

*****

Who among you guys have read the Mister Series?
I have a good news.
SOON.