Chapter 12

The warm breeze pushed the curtains around the room as Kamaria stared out the window at the light blue sky. She tried to keep her body from shaking nervously as she waited for the appropriate time to start night. She just couldn't stop from thinking about everything that could go wrong. What if they can't get to the New World?

What if  What if  What if    Kamaria repeated the words over and over again until they had completely loss their meaning. But even she knew the one good outweighed all the possible bad. She would be with Ki - and they could be together forever.

It had begun to feel like her heart and the ticking clock were in perfect unison.  In other circumstances, she might of found the rhythm comforting in it's familiarity, but now it felt like she was waiting for a bomb to drop on her home.  

When the clock finally chimed, signalling the time to start night, Kamaria nearly hyperventilated. The time had come, it was now or never. She looked out the window, glancing once more upon Olympus asking in the light she had learned to see. She gave the sky a wave watching as it tinged with the pinks and purples she loved.

Staring at the empty blue sky has her wondering who the next Gods of Light and Darkness will be. It's not like they could choose their replacements. Once Olympus realizes they're gone, new Gods will be appointed to erase the disgraced ones.

She doesn't know who the next God or Goddess of Night will be, but she would leave them Ki's stars.

Her final gift to Olympus. She hoped that it would remind everyone of love and the magic it can create.

Kamaria did one final sweep of her room, making sure she had everything she would need; Everything to start her new life with Ki among the mortals. She wasn't sure what she could expect from the mortal world, but with Ki by her side, anything could be overcome.

A feeling of sadness washed over her as she stared one last time at her room. Once she shut the door behind her, the room and its contents were no longer hers. She would become nothing more than a shadow of the past that roamed the palace halls. 

The door softly clicked behind her as she closed her eyes, silently saying goodbye to her past and embracing her future. She would have thought she would feel more sad, she was after all leaving her family and life behind but all she felt was nerves and excitement.

She made her way easily through the darkening halls clutching her bag to her chest. There was no need for a lantern, she had known these halls like the back of her hand. The shadows flickered along the hall and her fingers gently grazed the walls as she hurried to her future.

Lights from the  dinning room danced along the walls as she quietly tiptoed downstairs. She had given no thoughts as to what she would tell her parents if she were caught.

Please don't hear me - please don't hear me  She could hear her parent discussing wedding details. A small tinge of guilt flooded through her - they were planning for a wedding that would never happen. The Guilt was quickly washed away with the vision of Sethos as her groom.

She stood beside the opening of the dinning room Goodbye Mother and Father - I hope one day you will forgive me.  Silent tears fall down her cheeks as she tuns in the opposite direction and ran towards the kitchen. She would use the back entrance to escape to the gardens. Her heart leapt with the smell of the gardens as she rushed quietly through the door.

Ki's stars glittered in her dark sky and she couldn't help the smile that crossed her face - Ki was hers and more importantly, She was Ki's. She raced down the stairs, freedom was just on the other side of the garden.

Her footsteps against the cement stairs was the only noise cutting through the darkness. She could see the entrance of the path that would lead to Ki and her heart began to skip in the thoughts of freedom.

In her excitement, she didn't see the dark figure at the edge of gardens until it was too late. Strong arms reached out and grabbed Kamaria by the waist. A warm hand covered her mouth before she could scream for help.

Panic consumed her every thought as she struggled against the firm grasp of her captor.

"Stop struggling Kamaira" the voice was a low growl, but there was no denying that it was Sethos. Traitor tears streamed down her face as she stopped fighting against him.

"Good - now I am going to let you go. You're not going to run, or scream. Do you understand?" Sethos spoke gently as if speaking to a child. Kamaria slowly nodded in understanding.

True to his word, he released her from his grip. She was frozen in fear as she looked at darkened face of Sethos. The shadows of the night created hard angles, making him look truly terrifying. She tried to find words to string together - to make him understand that she loved Ki and there was no going back. But she stood staring in terror, gaping like a fish.

"Why him?" his voice was strong, but Kamaria was certain she sensed hurt behind his words.

Tears brimmed in her eyes as she stared at him "It wasn't done on purpose". The statement wasn't nearly what she wanted to say, but it was the only thing she could get past her lips.

"I'm so-"

"Save your apology" His words were soft and Kamaria began to feel hope, maybe he wasn't as mad as she thought. Maybe it was the initial shock and knowing that he had been betrayed.

Maybe....

An evil grin crossed his features and all hope Kamaria had felt was dashed away in a second. She slowly tried to back away from Sethos, but he grabbed her wrist before she was out of reach. Fear consumed her as she looked into the dark eyes of a spurned God.