Chapter Five

•Lust of Innocence•

The sound of a fingernail tapping against the coffee mug was the only vacant noise that could be heard throughout the apartment. The brown-headed girl was in the middle of having an internal crisis of her own as she stared at her phone in a contemplative manner while gripping her cup of coffee. Nari was in a state of uncontrollable reluctance. She was having a mental battle of whether she should call Jimin to confirm the time of pick up for the following day or to just leave it be and hope for the best. Sighing in frustration, she placed the mug down on the glass table and grabbed her phone, glaring at the dark screen. Words of motivation crossed her mind multiple times, for she needed encouragement to make this single phone call. Nari was painfully close to pressing the home button, but something was painted in her mind that made her slouch in defeat and place the device back on the couch.

She assumed that he was probably working due to the time of night and she did not have any intentions of interrupting him. However, the event was the next day and she didn't want him to arrive at the wrong time. Placing one of the couch cushions on her face, she let out a muffled scream to ease the growing anger at herself that was beginning to invade her emotions. Removing the pillow after a few seconds and placing it back on the sofa, Nari picked up the phone and brought up his contact name. Her thumb hovered over the call icon, but she managed to click it nonetheless and brought the device shakily to her ear.

Once she heard the first ring, the girl bit her lip in anxiousness and regretted ever making the call. She was startled when she heard loud music in the background and a subtle "hello." Nari gulped and quickly replied, "A-Ah, is this Jimin?"

No words were said for a few seconds and only the blaring music was present, but finally he exclaimed, "Nari? Is that you?" His loud tone made her wince, but she managed to suppress a stutter when she said, "Are you working?"

"What?" Jimin yelled into the phone. She rolled her eyes and clarified that he was indeed in the middle of work. Trying to raise her tone for him to hear, the brown-haired girl said, "Just text me when you're not busy!" She heard muffled movements in the background and sighed in relief when he replied, "I'll be on break soon!" He bid her a quick goodbye and the line went dead. Removing the phone from her ear, she grinned in satisfaction because the call wasn't as dreadful as she presumed it would have been.

•••

Nari was in full concentration mode as she was reviewing her notes from the anatomy lesson that was previously taught to her. Before she could continue on to the next section of the notes she had written, a familiar notification tone sounded from the device that was next to her. There was little to no hesitation when she grabbed the phone and swiped to open the text message.

Jimin: Hey, sorry about that. What's up? :)

Nari: I was just clarifying if you'll be able to pick me up at 5:30 for the reception?

Jimin: Of course. Do you want me to come earlier? ;)

She gave an expression of distaste at that comment. Nari couldn't tell if he was being flirtatious or just trying to be nice. Shrugging it off, she quickly typed in her reply.

Nari: No, 5:30 is okay.

Jimin: Great, see you then :)

The woman tilted her head and a small smile tugged at the corner of her lips at his reply. Realizing what she just did, she quickly wiped the grin from her face and plastered on a content expression. All Nari could do was question herself as to why that simple response gave her such subtle joy. Placing a hand on her forehead, she sighed and muttered, "I'm just tired. . ."