#4| Hair Types

This chapter is a requested topic about hair types.
-----------------------------------------------------

Quickly I will share the social problem with the whole hair typing thing in general.

Everyone knows that looser curls are accepted to be more beautiful than kinkier hair.

Looser curls on a black person usually mean they get asked this question all the time : "Are you mixed? You have such nice hair!"

And, they may say "No", but in they're head they are saying, "So, black peope can't have 'such nice hair?'  what is nice hair anyway?"

Even other black people share this hatred of curly hair between each other, for example, one of Nicki Minaj's songs says, "You litte nappy hoes need a perm-anater"

This needs to be stopped. All hair is good hair : Permed hair, naturally straight hair, fine hair, thick hair, dyed hair, short and long.
-

There was a chart made by Oprah Winfrey's hairdresser, named Andrew walker, that types hair into a system consisting of one number from one to four, and one letter, from A to C.

1a hair being bone straight
4c hair being the kinkiest

Here is a diagram I got off of Google to help.

3a hair has well defined loopy curls. It may be prone to frizz, so it is best to use light products that will give a nice hold.

3b hair curls are well defined with less space between each bend and curve than 3a hair. The texture may be coarse and dense. To prevent buildup use light products and cleansers.

3c hair has a defined corkscrew shape and has the smallest space between the bends in the hair strand of all the type 3 hair types. Avoid heat use when possible by instead using stretching techniques: braids, twists or bunning your hair.

4a hair has a defined curl pattern almost like a “s” shape. Generally speaking it retains moisture fairly well, but as with most curly hair types can still be prone to dryness. 

4b hair has a z shaped pattern and a more fluffy, cottony appearance. Due to the bends and the curves in the hair strand it is highly susceptible to dryness and breakage. This hair type shrinks up to 70%

4c hair  looks just like 4b, but with even tighter coils. In its aw state (no products) it doesn't not appear to have any defined curl pattern. This hair type can shrink up 70% or more. You can have 10 inches of hair, and it will appear to only be 3 inches if it's not stretched  (twisted, braided etc.) IT is also the most fragile hair type, so protective styles do this hair type very well.