"I love you dad." Tears trickled down my face

"I love you too... And I promise, I'm gonna do whatever it takes to keep you safe."

"I can take care of myself Dad." I stepped away from him, I wiped my tears away using the back of my sleeve.

"But you shouldn't have to."

*

*

*

*

*

*

"Something has changed in you. Towards me. You're distant, cold. I don't know what I've done, but I'll leave you alone from now on, if that's what you want. Is that what you want? You know why I'd leave you alone? Because I care about your feelings more than mine. I love you Violet. There, I said it."

American Horror Story flickered across my TV screen, I watched that thing like it was a religion, if it already wasn't...

"Jesus Christ for a dead guy Tate Langdon sure is a chaotically beautiful gift to the world..." I dug my spoon deeper into the tub of Ben and Jerry's ice cream in an attempt to scrape out the last few pieces of cookie dough.

I sighed, narrowing my eyes in the darkness of my room to discover that I had in fact finished my ice cream. I trudged across the room, throwing the empty carton into the trash, I stopped.

A creak, as if someone had stepped on a old floorboard sounded across my room, I slowly turned around, holding my breath in fear... It was them, I could feel it.

But it wasn't a masked killer.

It was Jake Fitzgerald soaked head to toe from the rain, with one foot on my bedroom floor and the other foot out of the window.

"Uh, hi?"

"Jake, what the hell?"

"A little help?"

I rolled my eyes, grabbing ahold of Jake by his torso before I pulled him through the window, we stumbled backwards, falling into my bed, with Jake lay ontop of me, his hands supporting him at either side and me wedged beneath him.

"I feel like I'm living my wildest dreams." He smirked

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I've finally got you pinned beneath me." He let out a laugh

"You're disgusting." I scoffed, pushing him to the side of me, I stood up from my bed, staring down on the brown haired boy with my arms crossed over my chest, I probably looked like a parent.

"What are you doing here Jake?" I glanced at the clock, "It's 2am and if you hadn't already noticed" I pointed to my now soaking wet attire, "It's raining outside, you're soaking wet and if you hadn't noticed I'm now soaking wet, so thank you for that."

"What am I doing here?" He pulled his phone out of his pocket, "You texted me."

"I don't think I did."

"Lydia. I am telling you, you texted me. See for yourself if you don't believe me."

From:  MySunshine 🌞

Hey Jakey, Kieran's out with friends and Dad's working at the Sheriff station, you wanna stay over? 😉

"Oh, uh yeah... Yeah I did send that." I lied, I knew that the killer was still out there but I wasn't ready to put someone I really cared about in the way of harm again, so I did the only thing I knew how to do. I lied.

"Lyds, are you sure you're okay?" He sighed, "I know you were at the old hospital by the turnpike. You lied to me about where you were, what's happening to you?"

"Everything's fine Jake. Nothing's happening to me, I just didn't want to put you in danger! That's it."

"I just don't get why you couldn't have told me?"

"Because I didn't want to! I wasn't going to let you get hurt for me!"

"Hey! I let you protect me from some psycho, why can't I protect you for once?"

"You've done enough for me Jake!

"Just let me help you!

"I don't need your help!" I yelled, taking a step closer to him, I don't know how we'd gotten so angry with one another so quickly, me for him trying to get in my business and him for me lying to him.

"Yes. You do!" He towered over me, the moonlight cast monstrous shadows across his face.

"You don't know what I want!"

"You're right. I don't know what you want, but I know you want me... and I want you too."

And then we were kissing for the first time in ever and that time I didn't stop him, because I didn't want him to stop. He was finally mine to hold and to kiss and I wasn't going to let that go.

Somewhere between the point where we climbed into my bed and he removed my shirt did the thought slip into my head that the killer had sent that text to Jake from my phone to push us together for some reason unknown to me, perhaps it was so he could put all of his victims in one place or so he could kill me and make Jake watch, but right then and there I didn't care, because Jake Fitzgerald was mine and I was his and we were one.

"Do you want to..."

I pressed a soft kiss to his lips, savouring the moment whilst I still could, whilst I was still alive, and I nodded up at him because in that moment I wanted to be as close to him as humanly possible.

And we had sex.

And I fell asleep in his arms without a fear in the world.

But as I woke up in the middle of the night with cold sweats and Jake's arms around my waist, I remembered the killer had a reason for everything and if he hadn't killed us...

Then he already had a plan lined up.