Struggles

Jasper growled as she trudged through one of Earth's forest, her hatred of the rock having only grown after the three days that had passed since her near defeat at the hands of Star Sapphire. A crack of thunder sounded as the tropical storm that surrounded her for the two days she had spent in the area continued. Jasper was convinced that this was Lapis' doing, the water gem probably watching the scene with a grin. To make matters worse, the object that had been Jasper's entire reason for her coming here, the whaling stone, was missing, meaning that she had walked through the mess for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Jasper's only option now was to make it back to the warp located in the area and get out of the worthless forest. With her hair and clothes soaking wet and feet getting sucked deep into the mud around her, couldn't even imagine how this could get worse...or she just didn't want to.

The sounds of the world around her, the heavy drops of rain falling, the mud as it was taken and released by the mud, they only made the experience all the worse. As she continued on, her goal to return to the Kindergarten so she could, at the very least, get away from the chaotic mess, she was unable to keep herself from entertaining the idea that the sounds around her were not from the herself or the rain but that they were made by Lapis and her Steven. Truthfully, she knew that this feeling was merely paranoia, nothing more, nothing less. Yet, with the trauma she had experienced because of them still lingering, Lapis her captor and Steven being the entire reason for her torment in the first place, she couldn't shake the thoughts.

Jasper began to hear them with every step she took. The rain became their ammo, the mud their footsteps, the slightest squeak of some organic life their laughter at her expense. Even Jasper's breathing had become their own.

Jasper shut her eyes and focused, finally managing to shake them. She had watched countless gems before her fall to their fear, allowing it to turn them into the corrupt monsters that roamed the miserable planet that was now her prison. Of all the ways she could meet her end, Jasper refused to allow something as dishonorable as...corruption become her fate. She wouldn't allow that weak traitor and her abomination transform her into those things.

Jasper opened her eyes and continued through the wood, swearing that, over the howling winds, she could hear the light beating of wings.
______________________________________

Amethyst sighed as she sat on she roof of Greg's van, listening to the grown man's muffled yelling that came from the inside of the business he had made all those years ago. Garnet had been the one to volunteer giving Greg the bad news. Being the leader, she took full responsibility for what happened. Amethyst didn't really agree, but she wasn't going to object, fearing the conversation that would ensue between her and Greg.

Amethyst sighed, resting her head in her hands. She didn't know why but she found herself actually wondering how Rose would've felt were she there. Perhaps it would've been better though... At least Rose would have some idea of what to do, whereas they were completely stumped as to how to handle this. It wasn't hard to read how panicked Garnet was after Lapis flew off with Steven. The fusion had been quick to scan over the possible scenarios, unable to find any more likely that another, or at least that's what she had told Amethyst.

Amethyst jumped as she heard the door of It's a Wash slam open.

"Get out!" Greg shouted, his face red and tears brimming in his eyes. "Out out out out out out out!" Greg commanded.

Garnet complied, walking out of the building, Pearl's gem in her hand. She turned back to Greg. "Don't worry Greg. We'll find-"

Greg slammed the door closed before Garnet could finish. After this, loud crying could be heard from withing. Amethyst looked at the building with a sad look, unable to imagine the extent of the pain he was feeling because of their failure.

Garnet walked up to the side of Greg's van and sighed. "That went better than I'd expected."

Amethyst couldn't tell whether Garnet was trying to lighten the mood or if she was being serious. Whichever it was, Amethyst had to keep control of herself as she felt of spike of rage within her. As it faded, she found herself just wanting to leave the area and get somewhere where she wouldn't feel so guilty.

Garnet, almost seeming to understand, began to walk away. "Come on, we need to begin looking for Steven as soon as we can. The longer we wait, the harder it will be to find Lapis."

Amethyst, normally one to avoid work at all costs, nodded, jumping off of he van's roof to follow her leader, beginning to plot revenge against a certain kidnapper.
______________________________________

"Come on, wake up bud." Lapis said, gently nudging Steven in the arm.

Steven didn't respond, eyes still closed as he rested against the trunk of a tree.

Lapis gave a troubled expression, sitting down and staring at him. "Come on bud, I've been waiting so long to see you again." Lapis scooted next to him, leaning against the tree. She continued to look at her sleeping friend, watching as his chest steadily rose and fell. "I want to talk to you again..." Lapis let out a sigh, looking from him to the blue sky above. How much longer do I have to wait?" Lapis silently groaned. "I've given him food, water, he's been resting for awhile...when will he wake up?" Lapis wondered aloud, eager to interact with the friend she hadn't seen for so long. She looked back at him.

Since Lapis had used her hydrokinesis to locate the food and water she knew he needed, she had noticed his features slowly regaining their color, but not by much. His gem had stopped glowing, something she hoped was good. Lapis was glad that her effort appeared to be helping him, but it made her anxious that he hadn't awoken yet.

She was finally free, he was finally safe, this was the moment she had been waiting two years for under the earth's ocean. It didn't matter now though, not if she couldn't even talk to him. After all she had done to protect him from the true threat to his safety, this had to happen, to him of all gems. She wanted to be able to talk to him again, to laugh and play with him as she had been able to do during her imprisonment. She didn't want him to get hurt again.

Lapis heard Steven give a small groan. She excitedly turned her head in his direction. Her excitement fell, Steven simply stirring in his slumber. Lapis sighed with a smile.

It had greatly upset her that, even after all she done to keep Steven from being hurt, harm still found its way to him. She found comfort in that she would be able to interact with him again soon, that he was safe now. She was here with him. He couldn't and wouldn't be hurt again under her watch, not Jasper, not Homeworld, no one...not even herself this time.

And the Crystal Gems...they would never be able to take who was rightfully hers.