♚ C H A P T E R • T W E N T Y - T W O ♚

Start from the beginning

The world suddenly went still, the voices silent as the gem turned a sickly black, almost resembling stone, before dropping into an abyss below.

One final scream was heard as flashes of two infants stolen from their parents' arms played over and over around them until finally, their world faded to black with one final sound reaching the twins' ears.

Help us.

"It was just a nightmare," Silvia cooed as she stroked Aura's back

"It was just a nightmare," Silvia cooed as she stroked Aura's back. "It's alright."

Aura's blues scanned the dark bedroom to see her sister sitting up on her bed, her eyes glazed over and her mind numb to the world.

Silvia wiped away tears from Aura's cheeks that she didn't realize had fallen from her eyes. "You're safe," her grandmother said softly.

The twins stared at their ceilings the rest of the night, with no courage or incentive to go back to sleep.

Their morning was as dreary as the clouded skies, hardly recognizing that any time was passing at all.

Aura found herself scrambling to the bathroom at least twice each class, nearly hurling in the toilet. Her nausea continued to fester for the rest of the day, causing her to tremble uncontrollably. Chills ran down her spine as images of her nightmare flashed through her brain. What was that stick Onyx kept with her? Why would she make a deal with Maleficent? Tears threatened to fall at the thought of the dark fairy's name. Maleficent...

She later found out Carolyn's day had been no easier feat.

Carolyn clutched her head in agony as each minute passed, drowning out the sounds of her teachers' voices. The clock positioned above the door seemed louder than usual, with the repetitive ticking chipping away at her sanity.

Her nightmare haunted her, as it had her sister, but she was far more focused on returning to Fabula to carry on with their mission. The sooner we can fix the Stories, the sooner this bitch will be out of my head. Carolyn's hand fiddled with the small vile in her pocket. She had pocketed a container of the violet potion for the portal from the attic that morning, knowing she wouldn't last the day before the compulsive need to return would creep up on her. I'll be gone by the end of lunch.

Aura was barely five minutes into her English class when the urge to puke overwhelmed her senses. She could feel Jake tap her shoulder before a whisper followed.

"Are you okay?" he asked. "You look a little green."

"I'm fine," she sputtered out before the urge took control of her body, sending her fleeing from the classroom.

The twins met up in the hallway after Aura was freed from her English class. They pulled Bailey out of the lunchroom before she could sit down, catching Jake's attention.

"I've had a mind-numbing headache all day and it's not from math class this time," Carolyn stated bitterly, noticing Jake's eyes following them out of the cafeteria. Once they were out of the way of wandering eyes, Carolyn pulled the vial of purple liquid out of her pocket to flash to Aura and Bailey.