♚ C H A P T E R • T W E N T Y - T W O ♚

✦__________✦
"I'm half living my life between reality and fantasy at all times." - Lady Gaga
✦__________✦

The twins opened their eyes slowly to a bright light shooting down on them from the sky. They quickly sat up, averting their gaze from the setting sun to see they were in a field of tall dying grass. Streaks of red and orange painted the sky in a fusion of warmth.

"Are we in Fabula?" Aura asked, her voice sounding like an echo as they stood up.

A raven squawked above them, circling overhead before dropping a necklace from its talons. The twins took a step forward to inspect the jewelry but froze in place when a ghostly figure emerged from within them, walking towards the necklace. She wore a simple green cloak with intricate gold detailing, the hood sitting on top of her head, unable to completely shield her flowing dark brown locks.

The woman turned her head in their direction, her chocolate irises wide with caution, searching for something in the distance. Her face had a youthful and innocent glow and didn't look much older than 18. Her cheeks and lips were a soft shade of pink as was the tip of her button nose.

"Onyx?" Carolyn asked in a faded whisper as the young woman turned back around.

The woman reached forward, her delicate porcelain hand sifting through the blades of grass in search of her amulet. Instead, she pulled a jagged piece of black wood from the foliage with the necklace tangled around it. Onyx took both items with her as she walked onward through the field.

"What does she want with a stick?" Carolyn questioned, receiving a shrug from her sister.

It was then that they noticed a forest in the near distance—miles worth of towering blackened trees with dark, decaying leaves.

"The Dark Forest," they heard Onyx mumble in disbelief.

Their blood ran cold as they cautiously followed her to the line of trees, with their heart rates rapidly increasing and their breathing growing unsteady.

The trees in front of them stood tall above them in a conspicuous, ominous manner, awakening a feeling of intimidation in their hearts.

Onyx reluctantly walked past the border of trees and into the darkness.

The raven flew above them and led Onyx deeper and deeper into the forest, with the golden sun fading away with every step they took. It was as if the entire forest was trapped in an eternal night, with not so much as a moon to light the way. Only a strange, dim, blue-grey glow lit the path that the three girls walked on; and the branches stretched out from the trees as if they were trying to grab and devour them.

The twins walked until Onyx stopped in a small clearing, her head snapping back and forth nervously at every minuscule sound. Shivers ran up and down the sisters' spines as if hundreds of eyes were watching them from within the dark.

They watched as Onyx groaned and searched about. "Where did that damn bird fly off to?" She continued to search frantically before stopping dead in her tracks. The Queen slowly spun on her heel and began to back out of the vulnerability of the center of the clearing.

A chilling voice echoed around her, "Lost, Princess?"

"What?" Aura blurted out; her eyebrows knitted together as she tried to decipher the situation.

A rush of adrenaline filled their bodies when they followed Onyx's gaze and spotted eyes of the fiercest yellow in the shadows. A shrill scream left Onyx's lips and echoed through the trees.