♚ C H A P T E R • T W E N T Y - T W O ♚

Magsimula sa umpisa

"You're a long way from home," the voice whispered wickedly, the eyes never leaving their shadowy home.

They could hear Onyx's shaky, heavy breaths from where they stood. "Wh-who are you? Why am I here?" she asked weakly. This was a far cry from the woman they had encountered before. Here, she seemed like a terrified little girl.

"You have something I want—something...important..." the voice murmured as it continued to circle around Onyx.

Onyx stood taller, her posture feigning confidence. "Why don't you come and face me instead of hiding like a coward?"

"Choose your words wisely, Princess," the voice threatened. The twins gasped as dozens of pairs of eyes appeared in the trees.

"What is it that you want with me? You said that I have something you desire?" Onyx asked with the little confidence and composure that remained. "If you want to discuss it, then come out of the shadows. If not, I will be of no help."

The original pair of eyes narrowed before the voice let out a sigh. "Very well."

Time stood still as the shadows parted to reveal the figure of a tall, lean woman. As the figure stepped closer to Onyx, the blue-grey glow exposed the woman's horrifyingly familiar face.

Onyx gasped as she recognized the woman's green skin and horns upon her head. "Maleficent," she whispered.

Maleficent's perfect red lips were etched into a scowl as her sharp, amber eyes stared deep into Onyx's soul. The twins went into a mind-numbing state of shock as the dark fairy began to circle the monarch with sheer power and grace.

"W-what is it th-that you want?" Onyx forced out.

Maleficent stuck out one bony hand as an image of a vibrant blue crystal rose from her palm, the saturation of color practically dripping off the image and into reality. "The Story Almanac."

Aura and Carolyn suddenly flew back as the world around them swirled. Onyx's figure stood before them, her kind smile morphing into a vicious smirk. Her chocolate brown hair turned a raven black. Her green cloak and simple dress transformed into a flowing black gown with a crown of blackened silver sat atop her head.

The jagged piece of bark lifted from her hand and began to shed its gnarled exterior, with one of smooth and elegantly carved wood resuming its place. The handle was encased in light as Onyx's name was carved into the wood.

A sudden shriek ricocheted through Aura and Carolyn's brains, their hands flying to their ears in an attempt to block out the sound.

The world around them swirled faster and faster, everything a blur except Onyx in front of them.

The glowing gem from before appeared in the space between the three women, its luminosity almost blinding as it smoothly transitioned between the colors of the rainbow.

Flashes of faces and scenes swirled around the twins and Onyx, each one causing the gem's light to dim.

A finger pricking the spindle of a spinning wheel...

The last petal of a rose falling...

A girl turning to ice...

Locks of golden hair falling to the ground...

A prince turning into a nutcracker forever...

A glass slipper shattering...

Dozens more spun around them and with each image, the same two words spoken by hundreds of voices repeated at a deafening volume. Help us.