Chapter 3: The Untold

I thought deeply about the night before and what had happened. I saw the long brown hair and the porcelain skin, but I also saw her forsaken eyes torn away by thunder. It broke my heart. I almost felt bad for them before I remembered what they were doing to me. Or maybe it wasn't them. I didn't understand all the words they were saying, but I understood enough to know that whoever it was, won't hurt me. What made her jump though? There was a creaking outside my window, but It must have been just wing, right? Is someone else..... no. 
            I grab my backpack and run to the door before my mother calls me back into the house and hands me a bowl of porridge. I groan softly before she disappeared upstairs. I eat my food slowly and notice the dull brown color fading away. I twist my head softly as I begin to think about my mother. 
          She has been sick for months and doctors can't explain why. Her skin is so grey and her face sinks in. She looks so sickly and everyone can see. Her smile cracks her poor broken lips and her eyes drown like a big blue sea
          When my sister died, my mother died too. Well a bit of her. She left us, mentally. My father had no choice but to take charge. He had no Idea how to do it. Sometimes I felt like a burden because whenever I saw my mother, she was empty. Mostly staring at that blank white wall that her face now blends in to. 
             She comes back down the stairs and gives me a crooked smile and sad blue eyes. She points to the direction of the door as I roll my eyes and walk out. As soon as I step out of that door, I see vibrant people with Vibrant smiles plastered across their faces in hope to be okay. Most of the smiles are fake. Some deceiving underneath and others, depression. I can see it in their eyes. This one girl I see has the world's most bright smile with the saddest big blue eyes I have ever seen. The sun radiated her auburn hair that shined in the light. She had dimples and the bluest eyes i had ever seen. 
       I caught myself staring and turned away and continued my walk to school. The walk was long and my feet got tired after a while, but the vibrancy of the people kept me alive. My steps began to skip as I felt a smile upon my face, but that slowly faded when I turned to the dark. 
            The dark was an area of town that was full of the Unshined and thieves. It was dangerous and weary. I felt everyone's eyes closely watching me as I hurriedly walked past it. They looked dirty and diminished. I don't know what I would do if I ended up in that position. For months that leaded to now, I had debated whether I was going to get the Shine or not. About a week ago, I decided that I should to protect my family, but every once in awhile, I hear my grandmother telling me the stories of life before. It scares me to think about just how much it has changed. I know I can't think these thoughts, but I still wonder, Why can't we be free. Grandmother says that we lost our freedom along with gaining lost ones. These devilish thoughts haunt my dreams, but yet, I must live on and go to school and learn no history. Years ago, two years after the placement was put in, they deleted history. The only reason I know it exists is because of my grandmother's stories.
               I wonder how much the government has made us lose.