Chapter One: The Noises In The Night

It started a month after her disappearance.  Every night I would hear the awful creaking of footsteps. They were walking, pacing, jumping. The first time it happened, I get up and I checked. After the fifth night I gave up, but then I heard whispering in my sleep. I would jolt awake, but it was as if they knew I was going to open my eyes because by the time I managed to see, they were gone. Nothing there. After a while, it became a habit to check the house before going to bed. I would start in the top floor, of course, and then go down to each floor. Our house had three stories to it, but wasn't the biggest on the block.
           After the war, bigger houses were built to ensure safety. Ours is a pre-war house and the only one left still standing near our city. Our city was a relatively wealthy one. Many people came here when their own city turned to ash. Dubark was the name and it was named this way because of the creator. It was built on a tall island that went well over 10,000 feet over water. Before the war, it wouldn't be considered an island, but because of the ash in the water, we have to put an extender to the height of the structure whenever the tide rises.
              The island was always considered a safe one, well mildly safe. Certain parts of the city were incredibly safe, but others were filled with the unshined and the hideous Misers. I hated that word myself, but how else could you explain them. Without the mark of the Shine, you can't do anything. No public transport, no selling or buying, no home owning. The Unshined are basically nothing. They're stereotyped as thieves, killers, and rapists, but no report has ever been confirmed. I have nothing against them.  They are people. Just like me. And the person following me.
              Suddenly I was jolted out of thought with a crushing bang in the alleyway behind me. I turned instantaneously and raced over to where the noise came from. I looked over the corner and saw... nothing. There was nothing there. With a sudden sense of being unsafe, I turned and trudged away. When I got to my home, I quickly closed the door and made sure it was locked. I then strutted around the house to make sure there weren't any noticeable change within the house. I went up the stairs to the top floor and started in the first room. I peered in and took out my tablet to look at the picture I took of it the night before. I closely studied the picture and the room. I noticed the table had moved slightly to the left, but assumed it had been one of my parents. With everything else in check, I started checking the rest of the house. Room by room and floor by floor, every room was the same. With everything checked and confirmed, I went back up to my bedroom and checked that room. I didn't see any changes firsthand, so I got in my bed and turned to my side to turn off the lights, but when I turned, I saw that the picture of me and my sister was turned the other way so that I couldn't see the picture.
                   "Hmm.. That's weird. I always turn it to face me." I think to myself. I sigh and push the frame down upon the brown table. I close my eyes and for a while, there's peace. There's no noise except for the sound of my fan. It's all quiet. Then I hear footsteps walking past my bedroom door. I sit up weakly and peer at my door. I see the light on in the hallway. I look down and see feet at the base of my door. My heart pace quickens and my breath hitches. I look at my clock to log the time later. My clock says 12:01. I stare at it, appalled. 12:01? They've come every night at 3:33. For as long as I can remember, it's always been 3:33. I hear a muted creak at the door and shift my head to face the door. I notice the handle turning. I stare shocked and fall onto the bed.  I hear my door gradually opening and soft, gentle, footsteps coming towards me.
           I feel the bed sloping down towards the right. Shivers went down my spine as the person stroked my head and whispered words in a language I didn't understand. I noticed some words from that we studied in school. 

"Te amo. Non stabit. Veni mecum. Sequi me. Sequi vestigia mea." The room quieted for a moment. I shifted a bit and the figure jumped up a bit and spoke quieter.

"Bene. Bene." I heard a rustling from outside my window and felt the bed shake a  bit. The voice shook when they spoke next. 

"Exire debeo! Sequi me." I heard the person stand and rush out of the room. I caught a small glimpse of them as they left. I opened my eyes and saw long brown wavy hair fly before the door closed silently. 

"It's a girl?" I thought as quiet footsteps hurried down the hall. 

Remembering Herजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें