Chapter Two: Eius

I woke up to a bright morning light and a bright smile to match the sun. The room was hot and clammy. I got out of the bed covers and stretched a little before standing up. My skin was hot and my face shiny. I walked out of the hot room and into my dressing quarters to put on my school uniform. Before sliding off my pink nightgown, there was a faint knock at the door. I put the clothes down and walked over to the door.
                I opened it quietly and saw my younger brother standing there while rubbing his eyes. My brother had a stuffed dirty rabbit under his right arm and a black cap on. I looked down at him and smiled slightly at the look of him. This was his first year of dressing himself because him and our mother had always fought about him not being able to dress himself. It was obvious that he had no idea what he was doing. His pants were on backwards and unzipped and his arm was going through the head hole.
                 He looked up at me and smiled a bit before walking into my room and looking at himself in my full length mirror.
"Need a little help there, buddy?" I asked him sweetly.
              He shook his head softly before considering the offer and nodded. I picked him up swiftly and sat him down on my bed. I pulled off his pants and put them on correctly before zipping them up and going onto his shirt. Once he was all dressed, I set him back onto the floor as he skipped away. I once again closed my door to get dressed. 
          I slipped on the skirt first and went onto the patterned shirt and tucked it in. I glanced quickly into the mirror and examined myself. I then walked out of the room and into the bathroom to put my hair up into a quick ponytail. I looked at the clock and ran out of the bathroom to grab some breakfast and walk my brother to school. 
       When I walked into the kitchen, I saw my brother sitting on the stool with two cereal bowls in front of him. 
"I made you one." The small boy spoke with a smile playing on his small lips. His strong green eyes strike my blue ones and i grab the bowl. 
                 We eat quickly before putting the bowls up and walking out the brown door. He grabs my hand and pulls me down the streetwalk. We stop outside of his school as I give him a hug and continue to walk to my class. When I get to my classroom, I swiftly grab a seat next to my friend Lilaa. I remember when we first met like it was yesterday. It was back in first grade and I had no friends. I was considered the long one out because I had the darkest hair and everyone else had nice long light hair. My hair had been cut the week before school because on of the kids on my block had stuck gum in my hair. 
            I remember hearing someone sit next to me in lunch and feeling someone glance over at me. She tapped me on the shoulder and talked to me when no one else would. She had the most gorgeous light brown hair I had ever seen and these chocolate brown eyes to match. Her smile was bright and her nose crinkled whenever she laughed. 
      Lilaa taps me n the shoulder and brings me out of my thoughts. She looks at me with a confused and slightly amused face. 
"Where'd you go in there?" She asks me with a hint of humor in her voice. 
"I was thinking about the first day we met." I reply with a sweet tone. 

"Oh." She replies. She opens her mouth to say more, but is interrupted by the teacher walking into the room. 

"Good morning class. My name is Mr. Poalaro and I will be your homeroom teacher." We all recite his name in union as we do with every other teacher. Class zooms by drastically and soon enough class is over. Lilaa and I walk over to our shared locker that we picked and grab out of books for our other classes. Lilaa grabs her class list and notions for me to pull out mine. We look them over to see if we have any other classes together. After we look them over, Lilaa sighs and begins to ramble.
"How do we only have one class together?!" She shouts.

"I don't know." We both shrug and talk until the bell goes off. We walk to our separate classes and continue to meet at our locker whenever class ends. At lunch  we talk about all the meaningless stuff we learned in class.
"I wish we could learn about the pre-end world." I say with a sigh.
"What? Why would you wanna learn about that?" Lilaa asks with a hint of shock.
"It would be interesting to learn about the free world with their market that anyone could by from, no matter the age." I explain.
"Has that crazy bat of a grandmother gotten to you? The world was horrible before the Shine. People need the shine. Those filthy Misers who don't have the Shine are wretched and corrupted. Don't tell me you wanna be like them!" Her words roar with every syllable. 
"Hey! They are still people!" I defend.
"Bad people!" She argues.
"You don't know that!"

"Why are you defending them? Do you wanna be like one of them or something?" 
"I'm not defending them!" I shy.
"Oh, yes you are. So, tell me, do you want to be a dirty old Miser?" She teases. People start cornering around our table.
"No. You're right. I'm sorry." I apologize.
"I know I'm right. You don't have to tell me." People start going back to their tables as I sit in worry and anxiety.