Chapter 10

Vittoria was amused by how he forced himself to dance with a mature lady. People cheered them and clapped their hands when they noticed that the bridegroom joined the balls.
But she liked thinking that they made that secret deal.

A gentlemen approached her to invite her and she agreed, just to shake away the stress from previous situations. Worse, he knew her because they already met in other events. She hated irritating acquaitances.
That blonde man was trying to take advantage of that, but she easily ignored him.
She jumped on his feet few times, hoping to discourage him.
"I really hope we can join maybe a hunt soon...".
He was interrupted by Riccardo, who rudely pushed him away "Sorry, mate. The lady has a suspended business with me".
"But..." The unfortunate man tried to complain but Riccardo already took her hand and dragged her on the opposite side of the room, right when the musicians were starting to play again.

"Hey!" She complained "That's not fair! You just danced with one lady".
"Yeah, I didn't mean to break the deal, actually I didn't mean to make it. I just wanted you to agree to dance with me. Now I don't want to wait any longer".
"Why didn't you ask that gentleman how good I am at breaking feet? I guess he got a limp now".
"I don't care. Good for you that I'm a good dancer when I want. And I can lead you" he smirked and pulled her closer, making her turn around.
So they started moving following the rhythm.
The deep embarass gradually faded away and she enjoyed the best dances of her life.
She didn't dare to refuse for the next songs.

Till the musicians played a bridal music. And everyone stopped and waited.
Vittoria looked around confused, like she just woke up from a dream.
"You can't dance this with me" she realized nervously.
He laughed, a bit frustrated.
She started to complain again "I can't dance it alone. So please, don't quit me right now".
"I'm not the bride..." She regretted those words as soon as she murmured them. She was just a guest, like many others.
His euphoria lowered, but he insisted "It's just a dance. Let's pretend for some minutes... Well, you know".
She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply for a moment, then accepted his hand and let that fantasy be real.

Riccardo crossed his father's stare just to get an approval nod, then they danced with everyone around looking at them and commenting.
Vittoria focused on the steps. She knew that music, she saw many couples dancing that before, but she never imagined show would have danced it too with a charming young man, promised to another girl.
It was wrong. She kept repeating that in her mind.
Usually those words just made her more determinates to break the rules.
This time she was facing more than childish rules.
She tried to enjoy that romantic dance anyway. She appreciated he was really good at hiding her mistakes and leading her fluently. She stared at him, after looking almost desperately for some details to focus on. His gentle deep blue eyes were the only anchor into that chaotic world. And she felt safe.

People applauded them when the music faded away.
Again the enchantment broke.
The two stepped back and the uncomfort came to taunt them.
He just had the time to thank her, then his relatives called him apart for some announcements.
Vittoria looked for a haven, even if she couldn't leave that place yet.
She didn't listen to the speeches not she joined the cheers. It was like she lost the ability of comprehend the world.
Her father came to compliment her and she didn't understand why. She felt like she committed a crime that nobody was able to see yet.