✙ Chapter 17 ✙

Start from the beginning

"Sh*t," he cursed, rushing down the hallway.

I frowned. "What?"

"I smell blood," he responded, a small growl escaping his lips. My eyes widened as my breath caught in my throat. Usually, the thought of dead werewolves made my day, but as I followed Drew down the hallways, I felt anxious. The image of Brody lying dead on the ground stirred something inside of me; believe it or not, but I didn't want to see him dead. Yes, I, the girl who hunted werewolves, didn't want to see a werewolf dead. A couple, actually. God, what the hell is happening to me? I thought, realizing I was beginning to grow attached. My family would've been disappointed in me.

Drew jogged down the stairs, keeping a hold on my arm. I almost tripped at the bottom, but he saved me from the fall, which I didn't thank him for. We rushed through the living room and into the kitchen where a large crowd of people stood. Some were crying, some were frozen in fear, and some were cowered in the corners. In the middle, near the kitchen table, stood a bulky man with a bawling woman in his arms. Seeing Drew, the woman pushed out of his arms and rushed to us, tears streaming down her pink cheeks. "T-they're dead! We've been a-attacked! We're going t-to die! They're going to k-kill us all!"

Attacked?

"Who's dead? Kristy, calm down," Drew said, barely understanding her from her uncontrollable sobbing. "Where are the bodies?"

She opened her mouth to answer, but she couldn't without bursting into another fit of tears. So, she turned around and pointed out the sliding glass door. I squinted out at the backyard near the tree line, seeing two mauled bodies. Even from the distance, the blood was clear, standing out against the green. I listened to the whispers around me, keeping my eyes locked on the bodies. "They were just taking a walk. . .," " I can't believe this. . .," "It couldn't have been hunters - there were bite marks! I saw them!"

Drew looked at me. "Stay here."

With that, he pushed through the crowd of people and out the sliding glass door to the bodies where a few people had gathered around. I recognized one of the people as Cole, playing his role as Beta. I shifted my attention to the people around me, not surprised to find some glaring at me. Obviously, they knew of my killings. But, they knew better than to confront me because of my skills and how I wouldn't have hesitated in killing them. Or, knowing Drew would've probably punished them.

The bawling woman started heading back to the man, but I quickly lunged forward, grabbing her arm. She looked at me and fright appeared in her eyes; she knew who I was. She whimpered and sobbed harder, causing me to receive a glare from the man. "I'm not going to hurt you," I said, fighting the urge to roll my eyes. "I just want some answers, okay?"

Fearfully, she nodded.

"Did you see the werewolves who did this?" I asked, releasing her arm. Sobbing, she bit her bottom lip and glanced over her shoulder at the man. I frowned, growing irritated by her sobbing. Then, hesitantly, she nodded. "Yes? Okay, did these werewolves have. . .red eyes?" Suddenly, the man reached out and grabbed her arm, pulling her into his body. He wrapped his arms around her trembling body and kissed the top of her head.

"Hey, I'm not done talking with her!" I snapped at him.

He growled at me. "You're done now."

The woman sobbed and closed her eyes for a moment, before reopening them and looking at me. Then, she nodded in reply with my question. My breath caught in my throat; for a moment, I couldn't breathe. Red eyes, I thought, staggering backwards until I was leaning against the wall to process everything. This meant, I was for sure not crazy. Werewolves with red eyes had chased me in the forest, nearly close to killing me. And, now, they killed a few members of Drew's pack. I didn't understand; what message were they sending?