✙ Chapter 7 ✙

The next chapter! Yay! It was raining the other day, so I stayed inside and wrote! I don't know how I feel about this chapter yet - I might go in and add some stuff, js. Brody right over there ---> except with brown eyes :) Sorry for any mistakes! Hope you like it! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited: 12/26/14

I had survived the jump with tremendous pain, a bleeding thigh, and thorns stuck throughout my body. Honestly, it was one of the most stupid and reckless decisions of my life - it took me several minutes to find the bravery to move. And, now, I was wandering through the forest, slowly yanking the thorns out of my skin. It wasn't easy enduring the pain, though my thigh had strangely become numb, probably from blood-loss. I was surprised I hadn't fainted yet, but I believed my determination to return to my family was preventing it. I mumbled to myself as I yanked another thorn out of my arm, tossing it to the ground. My feet were aching, mostly from the jump, but I was also barefoot. I kept stepping on twigs, pebbles, and bark - I wasn't sure if my feet had began bleeding. I didn't dare look; I was focused on finding my family. The only problem was, was I didn't know where I was at in the forest. I knew I wasn't close to home because the trees were too tall and scrawny.

I can't believe this, I thought, stepping over a branch. The forest was full of sound with the rushing waters of nearby streams, cries of insects, and singing birds from the tree branches. Sunlight streamed down through the patches of leaves and a small breeze came and went, cooling me down. I enjoyed the forest; I enjoyed nature. But, at the moment, I was becoming angry since I was basically lost - as a hunter, I should've known where I was. I should've had this forest mapped out in my mind; my father would've been disappointed. I stumbled over a fallen branch and flinched in pain, balancing myself. Coming to a stop, I glanced around, running my fingers through my messy hair. I'm lost. I wasn't positive on the direction I was heading and the forest stretched for miles. It wasn't going to be long until the sun was settling down behind the hills - the forest was dangerous after dark. I would've struggled seeing my surroundings and there was a higher chance of encountering an unfriendly animal, like a coyote.

I thought about my family - my father and brother. What if I didn't see them again? What if I didn't survive? I knew my family couldn't bare losing another loved one. I missed my father's pressure to improve and my brother's hilarious comments. But, what if I was disowned when they discovered an Alpha had claimed me as his mate? My heart became heavy in my chest at the thought. My family was all I had left and without them, I didn't know where I was going to go.

I exhaled loudly, just as the sound of a speeding car passing by filled my ears. My eyebrows shot up in shock and I glanced around, frantically. There, through the scrawny trees to my left, I spotted a highway. Thank God, I thought, limping that direction. Maybe there was hope for me and I wasn't as cursed as I thought I was. I pushed around the trees and crawled up the small slope to the highway, relieved when I felt the gravel beneath my feet from the side of the road. I peered down both ends of the highway, seeing no approaching vehicles. Damn it. Just when I was about to give up, my eyes landed on a gas station across the road. It was lopsided with rusty pipes, vandalized bricks, and a littered sidewalk. Taking a deep breath, I crossed the highway, ignoring my urge to turn back around and return to Drew. Stupid mate-pull.

The smell of gas invaded my nose as I neared the door.

I pulled the door open, causing the bell above to ding! Inside, it reeked of cleaning supplies and burnt coffee. Though, the interior of the gas station wasn't nearly as bad as the outside. The place was dimly lit with the floors recently scrubbed clean and the shelves were restocked with food. My stomach growled loudly at the sight of candy and chips; I hadn't ate since I had been caught by the werewolves. I stuffed my hands into my pockets, hoping for the possibility that I was carrying money. But, I was severely disappointed when my hands came out empty.