Chapter 8: 'Helokia'

Jiin walked with purpose, powerful strides and an aura that resonated with his dominance. In his forceful pace he walked straight past Dr. Helena Wrane's hapless secretary. It took her a second too long to recognize him as she stammered out, "Sorry Sir, Dr Wrane is with a patient, you can't go in".

Alexander Jiin stopped in his tracks and without looking at her he growled angrily, "You're fired".

The bewildered secretary stuttered, "S..Sorry Sir?"

With a stare that pierced her very soul, he turned his head to look at her and said slowly and forcefully, "You.. are... fired. Leave."

He then carried on his way, opening the therapists door and walking into her session without a second thought.

Dr Wrane saw him and stopped her sentence abruptly closing her notebook. Jiin looked at her patient fiercely telling him to leave. The fierce look in his eyes and nod from Dr Wrane made him quickly scurry out the room and past the crying secretary packing her things.

Dr Wrane sighed deeply looking up at Jiin saying, "Did you come early just so you could show off your power? Your ego is a furious beast that never satisfies."

Alexander sat down, his sour face unchanging, "Be mindful to whom you speak. I am not one of your pathetic mortal patients. I still do not understand why you do this. If you are a god of Despair now, then why help humanity deal with their problems?"

Wrane smiled devilishly replying, "Humanity doesn't deal with problems, they only create new ones. In the deepest core of their being they understand that they are insignificant so they struggle through life trying to give meaning to their meaningless existence. They try so hard to be happy but are consumed with guilt because they know they don't deserve happiness. Humanity lives off despair and I just steer the few through their mess feeding off of it. It's all I can do as I am now. At least it's mildly entertaining. I had a patient here this morning that is close to his final stages of the path I set him on. He first came to me as he was feeling listless in his job. He was once a thriving lawyer and now he felt undervalued and unproductive. He sought some help to get him out of his slump. I merely asked what his personal life was like, if it was as stagnant as his work life.

Was his sexual activities more scheduled and sporadic or passionate and spontaneous? Was his life just a repeating cycle with no spark or real experience? He was suffering at work because he was suffering at home. I told him he needed to go out and have a thrill. Two weeks later he came to me a conflicted man. He had taken a thrill and cheated on his wife with a woman half his age at a bar. It morally broke him and his guilt was filling him with despair but on the other side, the adrenaline rush created a spark inside of him and he found himself revitalized at work winning a major case with an energetic and emphatic flourish that he hadn't experienced in years.

He asked me if it was okay what he had done. If his wife never found out and it helped me find himself at work again, wasn't it a good thing then? I told him I couldn't condone his action but then men are at their core slaves to primal instincts and have needs that need to be fed. If he wanted to be an alpha he needed to feed his needs. With that, his infidelity grew. His work flourished but he spent less and less time at home, creating friction and a household of arguing and anger. Home was associated with despair and arrogance while the outside world was a cesspool of debauchery and life. Now he has a big case coming up, the biggest in his career which needs all his focus but he thinks his wife is on to his affairs and he has been fighting nearly every night he is home. This morning he told me he knew how to fix it all. I believe he will kill his wife, rid himself of the negative. He thinks now that this will set him free but it will only throw him down a deeper rabbit hole of despair and pain. This is what humans do... they just fall and fall until they die."

Jiin smirked, "Pathetic worms... this world will not be like this for long. You do know why I am here now... Why I have requested this meeting?"

"Of course I do, 'Kajiian'."

Jiin's face turned grim at the mention of his ancient godname, he spat out furiously, "that is not a name unworthy lips as yours can speak! Names have power 'Helokia' and when a name is spoken from lips such as mine, terrible things can happen for you. Be mindful."

A flash of fear crossed the goddess of despair's face as she looked down apologizing quickly, "I apologize. I was out of place. I merely wanted to convey that I knew of your plan to restore yourself. You want me to be the sixth sigil for your newborn god."

"Are you prepared to die so that gods can rise again? Will you be a sacrifice?"

Dr Wrane took off her glasses, gulped hard and replied with conviction, "I used to be the goddess of death. I ruled the underworld until I was kicked out, stripped of my power and the world of the dead was no more. I was forgotten and had to remake myself as a goddess of despair through blood and sacrifice. I am an old god and I am not powerful or potent enough to restore the gods but I remember what it used to be. I hate this existence, I find what joy I can and survive but I am a relic of a past era. I am saddened that I will not see the second age of gods but I am honored to play a part in its creation. I will be a sacrifice, I will be the sixth sigil. Just promise me that he will suffer."

Jiin nodded and walked out the door saying fiercely as he left, "He will never stop suffering. His pain will, be as vast as my rage. His suffering equal to my anger. He will know pain."

***** Jinn is just too cool, his arrogance and the power he exudes is just too damn cool. I wish I could be that confident and badass... What do you think? Please vote and comment and please, please, please check out my blog www.kalelcoetzee.co.za ... thank you! ***