Chapter 2: 'Heartless'

Kol's mood soured as soon as he walked into the police station. Listening to music in the car had lifted his spirits slightly but walking into this goddamn cesspool dropped him to a debilitating low.Depression hung in the police station like a thick blanket of fog suffocating all that were inside. It smelled of sweat, donuts, bad decisions and regret. And that was just the cops. They would joke around, sing happy birthday for you and give you a cake and there was a brother bond that connected them all but despite all of that... not a single one of them was truly happy, including him. This wasn't a job you worked for satisfaction and fulfillment. You became a cop because of some misguided idealism that fades away after a year and then you just do the job because it needs to be done. Maybe it was just him but he did not doubt that they, like him, were all on alcohol diet and were all kept up at night by crushing nightmares."Kol, you are looking like a ray of sunshine, not getting enough sleep?" Franklin walked up to Kol breaking his depressing train of thought. Franklin was a seasoned cop, worked narcotics for years until one day he put in a request for a desk job. Nobody would really talk about why but sometimes you could see Franklin staring blankly in front of him with tears in his eyes. Everyone had a story. Kol smiled smugly and replied, "Your mother wouldn't let me sleep. She was a wild one. "Franklin raised an eyebrow and said with a smirk, "My mother is hideous. My father was drunk off his rocker when he impregnated her. Bless her soul but I'm glad I got my father's looks. If ugly, old women are your thing then no judgement." Franklin patted Kol on the shoulder condescendingly and walked away hiding a smirk of victory."Prick," Kol muttered under his breath before walking over to his desk. He hated losing. Kol sat at his desk and contemplated getting up to get a shitty cup of coffee while he waited for the captain to finish his meeting. Kol leaned back in his chair groaning loudly. He did not have the willpower for this day. The coffee was shit but it was still caffeine and the throbbing in his head was back. He needed caffeine but to get it required effort and the risk of having to have conversations with other cops on the way. He would rather battle a wraith then exchange useless pleasantries with people he didn't give a shit about. Maybe he could try another forbidden spell?Before he could consider breaking another godly rule, the captain's door opened. Kol grabbed a blank piece of paper, quickly traced a sigil on the page and walked over to the captain. The captain saw him approach and said with a scowl, "Kol, I'm still waiting for the Menderson reports. I swear, you are the laziest detective I've ever known.""Your words of promise humble me sir, but for your information I've got quite the big case. I'm liaising with Beckett at 49th on a serial killer case that has similarities to one I worked on last year. So I'm gonna be down there until we get our guy. Got the papers here."Kol handed the captain the black piece of paper to which the captain read words that weren't there. The captain handed Kol back the page and turned to back into his office saying. "Well I'm glad you will be out our hair for a while. Here's hoping the killer makes you his next victim.""Here's hoping," replied Kol loudly before muttering under his breath, "Prick." Pricks, the whole fucking bunch of them. He grabbed his car keys and coat and left before his mood soured even more. Now that he didn't have to be at work anymore he had to go to the one place he dreaded more. Jane's place.

 ****Teri picked up her pace as she walked cursing Carl for being a useless damn drunk. He was supposed to pick her up after her shift at the diner but once again he had let her down. She had waited almost an hour before she realized that his promises meant absolutely nothing. He said he promised he would do better, that he would lay off the bottle and be there for her. It was probably her fault for being a gullible fool and thinking he could ever change. It was a dark and cold night, the wind blew through her chilling her to the core. She breathed out and could see her breath in front of her face. Gripping her coat tightly around her, she looked over her shoulder then quickly surveyed all around her. She felt uneasy, like she was being watched... followed."It's just your imagination Teri," She whispered to herself unconvincingly. She felt a cold shiver and heard scraping on the wall she was walking past. As she turned to see what caused the scraping noise, her body became paralyzed with pain and fear. A silver blade was plunged into her lower back right next to her spine. Intense debilitating pain coursed through her body. Teri tried to scream in terror and agony but out of the shadows a hand covered her mouth blocking all noise. Artenhyr could feel her tears on his hand as he forcibly covered her mouth with one hand and twisted his sliver blade deeper into her back with the other hand. He leaned in close and whispered into her ear, "You were easy prey stranger... I hope the others will be more of an enjoyable hunt. I like your smell though, I wonder how you taste."He gripped her jaw tight to prevent another scream of agony as he viciously dug his teeth into her soft flesh and big off her left ear. He spat out her ear, licked his lips and tasted her blood. As he tasted her blood, Artenhyr closed his eyes and saw the second sigil echo in his mind. Artenhyr felt the blood in his veins heat up and the hair on his arms stood up as static crackled throughout his being. His skin turned red as he burned with a seething primal rage.So this was what it felt like to be a god? Letting go of his silver blade and his grip around her mouth he placed his hand at the back of her head where her neck met her head. Before she had a chance to scream, the red-skinned new god of the hunt used his new found strength and shoved her face first into the opposing wall. The last thing that Teri felt before death consumed her, was the cracking of her skull. Artenhyr pressed his hand forward until he left a bloody hand print on the wall surrounding with blood splatter, brain fragments and bits of shattered skull. Teri's headless and lifeless body slumped to the floor. Artenhyr laughed wickedly as he moved to a part of the wall where Teri's blood splatter hadn't tainted and he drew the second sigil. Once completed he placed his palm over it and felt it sear into his flesh as the first had. This time, the pain excited him. He felt himself get hard as the beautiful agony coursed through him, like thousands of red hot probes stabbing him at the same time. He let out a gasp and then a wicked smile as it ended. The first sigil took his own blood, the second that of a stranger and the third... the blood of a virgin, untainted and pure. He looked down at Teri with a smirk. He could smell it in her blood. It had been a shamefully long time since she had been a virgin. His head darted to the right as he smelled new blood close by. A young male passerby looked into the alley and his eyes widened with fear and disbelief. As he opened his mouth to scream, blood splattered out instead. Artenhyr had moved with superhuman speed ripping out the boys heart in an instant.He raised the bloody heart to his mouth, licking up the boys warm blood. Hmmm, not a virgin.Dropping the heart, he disappeared into the night. The hunt continued.  

*** Are you enjoying? Let me hear your comments! and please don't forget to vote!*****