Chapter 1: 'Artenhyr'

Kol groaned audibly as his alarm clock cried like a banshee interrupting his perfect sleep. He waved his hand in the air drawing three sigils and then flicked his wrist directing them towards the alarm clock. It's shrill noises stopped as it exploded into thousands of miniscule pieces. Kol smiled smugly and rose out of his bed. His smile disappeared as he looked around the room. His work clothes from the day before lay scattered on the floor along with a half-eaten pizza in a pizza box and a couple of empty beer bottles. As he stood up he felt his body ache and his head felt like it was going to split open. He couldn't remember much of the night before but it looked and felt like he had had one too many. He covered his face with his hands moaning loudly. He then lowered his hands, closed his eyes and said loudly. "Fuck it!"

Kol then raised his hands and began drawing complex words in the air. It was ancient, forbidden magic that stole directly from his own life force. Just using this kind of magic would mean life imprisonment or even death depending on what it was used for, but since there was nobody to enforce elder law anymore, Kol really couldn't give a shit. He just used a forbidden spell that sacrificed two years of his life for a couple minutes work. He smiled smugly again as he looked around the room. The room was completely spotless, the bed was made and even his alarm clock was whole once again. The clothes that were on the floor were cleaned and were now on him. He himself was clean shave, bathed and clothed. He had just altered reality to shape his will... to clean his room and get ready for work. This was his life now. He groaned loudly for a third time since waking up this morning. He remembered a time when his name used to be feared. Now he worked as a damn cop trying to clean up streets he used to rule. He swore loudly and walked towards the door. As he put his key into the front door lock he felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up. He turned to look at the clock on the wall and just as he predicted, the second hand on the clock froze and went back two seconds.

Kol closed his eyes and his mind filled with screams of agony. He saw pools and blood, blood splatter on the walls and a man drenched in blood. So much blood. The vision ended and Kol slammed his head against the door repeatedly saying, "You have got to be kidding me!" He groaned loudly for a fourth time. As if his life wasn't fucking terrible enough, this shit had to happened. He opened the door and slammed it behind him as he walked to his car in a very foul mood. His neighbor Paul saw him and shouted out happily, "Morning Detective!" Kol stuck out his middle finger muttering, "Go fuck yourself mortal," and climbed into his police car with a fifth groan of absolute misery.

He picked up his phone and stared at it for a while debating whether or not to make the call. Eventually he pressed dial and held the phone to his ear, embracing the verbal storm that was about to come.

He closed his eyes as the call was answered and the woman's voice on the other end shouted angrily, "You dumb-ass son-of-a-bitch, what part of never call me again do you not understand? I will rip off your tiny fucking dick and feed it to you, do you..." Kol cut off her rant saying, "As enticing as that is Jane, someone is attempting to make themselves a god." There was a brief silence on the other end and then Jane asked calmly, "Is there an elder involved? Did you see who?" Kol replied. "If I saw I wouldn't be calling you. I'm hoping it's just a guy who found an ancient book of his great grandfathers that had spells written in it or some shit because if it's the whisperings of an elder god then there is a huge shit storm coming. I need to speak with your mother. I need her eyes."

There was a longer pause of silence this time before Jane finally said with venom, "I hate you Kol, I really do!" Kol smiled and replied, "I hate you too Jane, that's why the sex is so good when we get together."

He quickly cut the call smiling smugly once again. He could just imagine all the obscenities she was spewing out on her end. He was honestly terrified to see her later. It was going to hurt, she might just kill him but damn, the sex was going to be great.

****

The naked man woke from the first good sleep he had ever experienced ever. The euphoria was unexplainable. As he slept he had dreamt. He smiled wildly, never before had he felt this alive. In his dream he had lost his name and been given a new one, his godname. Along with a godname, the whispers had come to him in the dream and told him the path to godhood. First was a sacrifice... he looked over at the decomposing corpse of Ashton and smiled. After the sacrifice came the seven blood sigils. Seven markings written in blood. The first sigil was to be written in his own blood.

The naked man picked up his sliver blade, took a deep breath and cut into his arm. The pain had never felt sweeter. He dipped two fingers into his blood and drew this first blood sigil on the floor. Once it was complete he placed his palm on the sigil and the entire room shook with primal energy. He cried out in agonizing pain as it felt as if every vein in his being was being electrified. He looked at his right arm wrist where the blood sigil he had drawn on the floor was now burnt into his flesh. The sigil was the word from a language long forgotten. A language that if spoken aloud could drive you mad and bring forth untold horror and a fate worse than death. A language incomprehensible to mortals.

The naked man understood the word and spoke it softly, 'Artenhyr'.

It was his godname. From henceforth he would be Artenhyr, god of the hunt. The second sigil required the blood of a stranger. It was time to hunt.

***How cool is Kol? He is so much fun to write.... and Artenhyr and blood sigil magic... what do you think..... hmmmmmm.... this chapter is dedicated to benaddict31 who was the first to comment on this story, has been a loyal reader, is an amazing person and an incredible writer. go read her book 'Come Inside', it is awesome! Please vote, comment and share! you are too cool***