Chapter 6

When I woke up I kept my eyes closed, wanting more than anything to keep sleeping. Chris and PJ's argumentative banter was ringing loudly in my ears, forcefully waking me up from a slumber that I was not prepared to leave.

Although I knew it was futile a part of me figured that if I kept my eyes closed and ignored the noise, I might be able to fall back asleep.

It was only when I felt a sudden breath of wind on my neck that my eyes flew open, alarmed. I lifted my cheek from what turned out to be the top of Phil's hair and looked down to see Phil resting on my shoulder, clearly sound asleep.

My first thought was how envious I was that he was able to sleep through Chris and PJ. The lucky bastard.

My second thought was me actually registering the fact that Phil was nuzzled against me. Him and I had obviously fallen asleep sat upright and at some point in the night (or more accurately, morning) slumped against each other. And now I was being subjected to Phil's breath fanning against my neck with each rhythmic rise and fall of his chest.

It tickled, sending goosebumps all over my skin. Although my face flushed at the intimacy of it I was half tempted to stay like that just so I didn't have to wake him up.

That is until PJ, who was sat on the floor in front of me next to Chris, noticed that I had stirred. He turned around and grinned toothily up at me. "Morning sleeping beauty!"

Chris looked around too, pausing the game that they were playing. "Have a good sleep, did you Dan?" Chris asked wiggling his eyebrows suggestively.

Face growing warmer I hastily nudged Phil off of me and scooted a good foot away from him. He yawned silently, his fists rubbing at his closed eyes in a very childlike manner, as if trying to wipe the sleep away.

Chris snickered at my response and held his hands out in a placating gesture. "I know, I know. It's none of my business what the two of you get up to in the dead of the night. But just promise me you'll invite me to the wedding, okay?"

"Shut up." I mumbled embarrassed. I leant forward and shoved him playfully.

"Of course you'll be invited," PJ joined in, "but I'm afraid the position of Best Man's already been filled, hasn't it Dan?" he asked, pointing to himself and mouthing 'pick me'.

I glanced sideways at Phil, who was blinking dazedly, allowing his eyes to adjust to the light. I couldn't tell how much of the conversation his sleep clouded brain was registering.

"We were actually thinking of having a terrifying cross breed of the two of you." I said, recovering from my fluster and going along with it, which led to PJ and Chris high fiving triumphantly.

After a few more rounds of gaming, with me and Phil not actually playing but silently observing, PJ put down his controller.

"I suppose we should think about heading off. I'm guessing we've well and truly overstayed our welcome." PJ said, stretching.

"Unless...?" Chris held up his controller and shrugged his shoulders innocently at Phil, suggesting that the gaming marathon be continued and seeking permission for it to do so.

Phil, tired looking but now properly awake, shook his head. "I'd love to, but I'm meeting up with a friend today."

Everyone, me included, paused. "You have friends outside of us?" Chris said appalled, clutching his chest as if in pain. "Phillip, how could you?" he cried in mock indignation.

His reaction may have been ingenuine but mine sure wasn't. I could feel the new found clinginess resurfacing inside of me, demanding answers. What the hell, Phil?

"Wait, friend... or... friend friend?" PJ asked mischievously with eyebrows raised as he waited for clarification.

Phil didn't say anything in response, but the blush that crept up to his cheeks and the way he awkwardly shifted in his seat was answer enough. Both Chris and PJ gasped in comic synchronicity. "You saucy minx! Go on, give us the dirt!" Chris said.

"There's no dirt. We're just hanging out... in a, you know... date like fashion." Phil responded, and was immediately greeted by a chorus of 'oohs'. Face now a deep beetroot Phil buried it in his pillow, through which a muffled "I hate you guys" could be heard.

Chris and PJ immediately launched into a ruthless interrogation, demanding all the details and leaving no stone unturned. As much as I would have liked to have jumped in and rescued Phil from the obvious awkwardness that he felt, I too was curious to know more. So I stayed silent.

"Now, is Charlie the one that sits in front of us in English?" PJ asked.

"No, he's the one from History. You know, with the hair." Chris replied.

"Ahh yes. The one with the hair. That rules out all of our bald classmates, thank you." PJ said sarcastically.

This went on for quite a while, during which Phil seemed to sink further and further back into the couch with embarrassment. The look on his face indicated that he wanted nothing more than to be swallowed up by it entirely.

I wanted to be pleased for Phil, but I wasn't. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't find it within me to summon any happiness for him whatsoever. Instead all I could feel was this gnawing pit of jealousy and unease.

For some reason the idea of Phil interacting with anyone other than me, Chris and PJ at school never even crossed my mind. Which was completely stupid. I had forgotten that most people, you know, the ones that aren't me, actually talk to new people. They introduce themselves, make conversation, befriend them even.

The concept was so foreign to me that I hadn't considered the possibility that Phil had made friends in his other classes. And of course he had. He was the friendliest, bubbliest, most likeable person on the planet.

I should have been happy with how easily he transitioned into our school. I should have been happy that his sexuality didn't hinder his ability to fit in. I should have been happy that he was happy.

So why wasn't I?

Needless to say that although I had never met him, and failed to even place a face to the name, I was not entirely thrilled about the mention of Charlie.