15: Can't Come Down

Let me know if you don't see chapter 14, there's been problems with it and my posting times are whack sorry bout that!

Also, what things would you guys really like to see in this book? Let me know B) I've already got everything plotted for this story, but I just wanted to know so I try not let anyone down lol

"Zayn! I missed you." Elliot hugged me once he had ran out of the school's gates. Rose waved goodbye to him and headed her own way home with a backpack tugged over her shoulders. It was calm and present, my mind was wrapped up in the happy children and luckily Elliot was one of them. School had gotten easier for Elliot, now that Rose was around. She was confident and beautiful and a lot of the other boy's stared at her with envy, but she was quite content being with Elliot. I knew she'd look out for him, unlike the teachers who had a blind eye to the bullying. But everything had cooled off now, strangely, and Elliot had seemed to of temporarily forgotten his apprehensiveness, he wasn't entangled in the worry he had for his father.

The little boy who I held in my arms had no idea about Vanessa breaking in last night and I wasn't intending that he would ever find out. If I could make it so Elliot would never witness strife or be inflicted with grief, I'd do it in a heart beat. For some reason, this was one of those rare moments where I could cast a smile onto my face and keep him from knowing. He always knew too much and I hated it, I hated lying to him and I hated when he knew things he shouldn't. I stand up straighter once we've pulled away and brush his hair that emitted a gold light from the sun away from his eyes, smiling down at him. He was identical to Liam with his big brown eyes and pink lips, everyday that passed he turned into a little version of his father.

"I missed you too, El. How are you? Are you hungry?" I ask and he nods quickly with my index finger keeping his chin facing my direction, but the look of comfort vanishes just as quick as it had came. His brown eyes scatter to the car behind me immediately.

I knew Elliot would end up seeing the security guard, I just didn't know how to tell him. There's a question behind his eyes and a quirk to his eyebrow, a rush of unease in his movements. He is holding my hand tighter in haze of instability and it bruises the joy, because it's not just feeling like you've saddened Elliot - but Liam too. The vulnerability hadn't taken long to start engulfing the little boy as he shared a gaze with Mark, a man who will be with us almost everywhere to make sure we're safe. Elliot was constantly faced with uncertainty, it didn't really help by being brought up by me - no matter how much we adored each other - I wasn't his father. I was just a nanny.

"Who's that by your car?" He asks and I turn slowly, fingers enveloping his. I'm not going to lie to him and I'm not going to tell him the full truth.

"That's Mark, he's going to be looking out for us for a while. He's really nice, says he's got some kids of his own. Don't worry, babe." I tell him and he breaks contact with our new security guard, staring at me with big eyes inquiring for reassurance. I smile, ducking my head in acceptance to his questions, without words, clearing the alarm from his mind.

We get into the car, except this time, Mark is opening the doors for us. We sit in the back and Mark sits in the front seat after shaking Elliot's hand and greeting him with fond eyes. Elliot is hesitant and timid. Most of the unease had subsided once Mark opened his mouth to say something silly that made Elliot giggle. I watch as our new security guard turns around in the seat, holding a bag out to Elliot.

"I hope you enjoy 'em." Mark says, and I watch as Elliot's face beams with excitement as he peers into a bag full of expensive, hand crafted chocolate.

"No way! T-Thank you so much!" He exclaims with an elated look on his face and Mark laughs kindheartedly, beginning to drive home. Elliot leans on my shoulder and I keep an arm around him, knowing separation was something he didn't like.