1: Strange Encounters

Holy shit I have everything mapped out for this story! This story is mature and will contain mature themes obviously, and there will be a lot of tears and romance. I'm so excited for this drama! Please enjoy the first chapter of my new Ziam fic.

-

I loved my job, I really did. The constant, infectious laughter and the entertainment value was out of this roof. I've truthfully had my best moments at work. However, being a preschool nurse had it's undoing. It's mind-spinning collapse that truly felt like someone had jabbed you with their finger like a piercing knife, literally and metaphorically, it seemed like someone just sat back and laughed at me most days.

And today was one of those days where I wondered what I was doing here.

"Zayn, you wanna sneak out for a ciggy?" Hunter had turned around to ask me this question, in the middle of the playground that we monitored cautiously, looking out for bullying or if a kid had accidentally shat themselves in the sand pit. We like to say to the parents who had signed their kids up to attend this preschool that the whole place was sterilized, but in reality, this place was one big walking fecal matter, it would be impossible for this place to be germ-less.

It was a quiet day, not much had happened and it was almost peaceful. We only had one little default but really it was nothing in comparison to the other stuff we've had to deal with in the past. Today seemed like one of those days where every little thing felt like someone was shoving you over the edge further. In the dawn of the morning, a mother had pulled over in her car, walking her little boy over to me in front of the gates of the school. It was a routine for parent's to hand me their kids and rush back home in their speedy cars to finally get some sleep that was truly needed for new parents, it was interesting observing. Sometimes I felt like I wasn't even conscious when I did it, signing each child in and watching them run off to their friends to do something naughty probably.

But of course it wasn't going to be that easy with these two. Marcus, (the kid with chubby cheeks and the mother that looked like she was about to have a nervous breakdown whenever she let go of the child's hand), suddenly found something far more compelling strolling down the sidewalk looking for a cab hopelessly. Instead of any other pedestrian who was traveling home from a late night out from town, the man seemed vastly different from just a sleaze.

"Dad?" The small boy with a sprawl of messy curls falling around his face, found his father coming up towards him, but the problem wasn't that completely, it was the young, blonde, fit bird beside him.

The couple looked like they had a long night, the girl's sparkly dress had become ragged and uneven, holding her heels in her hand, and the boy's father had a false pair of eyelashes glued to his neck from the night prior. I forced the images of how that had even got there out of my mind, needing to get through the day without vomiting.

"M-Marcus, buddy... Hey." The man looked seriously confused, reaching forward towards the boy who held his arms out waiting for his father to pick him up off the ground. That's until the mother with crazy, blue eyes jumped out in front of the kid like a car crash, looking like a bull ready to charge a red flag. The mother of Marcus had told me numerous times that her "numb-nut of a husband couldn't figure out if he wanted to pursue the career of being a dad or a sugar daddy." She kept on telling me that she ended up having sex with him just to procreate but had eventually expected him to stick around out of guilt for the child, and instead he left her a note saying he moved out after she came home from work one evening a month pregnant. She thought we were friends after that conversation, but instead I was just the nurse and the occasional playground monitor. The petite, brunette mother looked like she was about to growl at him and the father looked like a big, stupid deer stuck in headlights, waiting to be run over with his little girlfriend.