Photograph~Crenny

Craig swallowed hard as he stood above the blonde boy's grave.

Despite his swallowing, he still couldn't stop crying.

Kenny had died seven days ago. In his bedroom. Alone.

Craig had found him.

Despite the constant 'I always come back' Kenny had used to reassure Craig before going and doing something stupid, Craig knew that this would happen.

The devil doesn't play games.

When the devil gets tired of reincarnating the same soul, he keeps it for good. And that's what he did.

Kenny McCormick was not coming back.

Craig placed his daisies and bluebells along the dead boy's tombstone, and sniffed as he did everyday at the reminder that the only person to ever care about him so much was gone forever.

If times got hard, Craig went to Kenny and Kenny went to Craig.

Craig stood up slowly before staring at the patch of dirt and gravel. He then pulled a picture out of his back pocket.

~~~
One day ago...
~~~

Craig was shuffling through a filing cabinet in Kenny's room as he waited for his mom to come pick him up from Karen's tutoring.

He then found a folder labeled 'forever'.

Curiously, Craig opened the folder.

Out fell twelve letters, six journal entries, and a polaroid.

The letters were between Craig and Kenny when they were stuck in detention.

The journal entries were of Craig surprising Kenny on Kenny's sixteenth birthday, when Craig and Kenny got together, and many more.

The polaroid, however, sent a pang through Craig's already broken heart.

In the photograph was of Kenny kissing Craig's cheek at 12am on New Years day. They had both been totally drunk so the photo was slightly blurry from Kenny's shaking hands holding the camera.

It was at that moment that Craig's breath hitched and he felt tears come to his eyes quicker than he imagined was possible.

Below the photo in the empty space he found the lyrics to a popular song.

It read,

When I'm away, I will remember how you kissed me
Under the lamppost back on Sixth street
Hearing you whisper through the phone,
"Wait for me to come home."

Unable to hold it in, Craig let out a sob and started bawling.

Kenny had known he would die, and the only thing he could bring with him was not the close he wore or the hair on his head, but instead the love that Craig had provided for him.

~~~
Present...
~~~

Craig swallowed again and finally found the courage to use the shoebox next to Kenny's grave.

He laid the shoebox of letters and entries on the boys grave before digging a hole and placing the box a foot below the surface of the ground.

Before he covered the box, he opened it and placed the Polaroid photograph in it gently.

He then covered it up before anyone could see him.

"We'll keep this love in a photograph," He muttered," choking on his words.

He then wiped his eyes before standing up with a deep breath and looking down at the small rock.

"I'll wait for you to come home."