Wonder

Crystal stared out the window worried. Captain Tim was curled up next to her on the blanket draped over her legs. Rain poured outside, pelting the window and streaming water down the panes. Lightning struck the hill for the second time. She watched unenthusiastic. 

The barn door opened and Steve ran out into the rain. She watched him run to the back door from the window and quickly stood up. She ran down the stairs and met him at the bottom. 

"Are they all alright?" Crystal asked, jumping over the banister and landing on a table. 

"Off the table" Steve said, hanging up his coat. "And they're fine. It was just getting Chet to calm down that was the hard part" 

Crystal laughed. "yea, he's horrible. Why'd you get such a stubborn horse?" She asked.

Steve rolled his eyes "I didn't buy him, he was gifted to me. And believe me, if anyone else would take him I would give him up. Honest" he held up a hand and smiled. Crystal laughed and walked over to the stove. She put a kettle on and sighed. 

"Yea, whoever gave him to you was definitely hoping he'd give you a bad time" She said. 

"you got that right" Steve laughed "that guy didn't like me. Can't remember his name though" he leaned back in his chair. 

"Dad" Crystal sighed, she looked out the window at the "I need to leave. I'm sorry" 

Steve nodded solemnly. "I understand" He sighed and stood up again. "I've been expecting that actually. I have a map you can use to find your way back"

"My- way back?" She looked at him confused. 

"Back to someone who can help you" Steve finished quickly. "It'll- It'll be a day or two journey. But- there's a lot of things you need help with"

Crystal stared at him. Her eyes glaring, and starting to glow. "There is nothing wrong with me"

------

Phil yawned and sat up under Qwuen's wing. It was draped half over him, and resting on a fallen log on his other side. The dragon himself was still asleep and had his other wing tucked up tight. His tail was wrapped around the tree stump half way. 

Stretching, Phil crawled out from under the wing carefully. He stood up and looked around, being careful to stay under the canopy of trees. It was lightly raining, but the spot they were in was completely dry. 

"Phil?" Qwuen groaned. He rolled over and stretched his claws. He sat up quietly, the top of his head brushing against the lower branches of the trees. 

"Yea?" Phil stopped and looked back. 

He forced a smile, his plan to sneak away then was gone. They were just outside the Fox kingdom by then, and he didn't want to go back there. Never again. 

"Where you going?" Qwuen asked, tilting his head to the side. He looked innocent enough, but you can never know with a dragon. 

"Just- out to hunt" He shrugged. "I didn't want to wake you" 

Qwuen nodded and smirked. "How close did you say we were last night again?" He asked, standing up. He towered over Phil.

"About half a day's flight" Phil lied. He took another step back, but was right at the edge of the canopy. Droplets of water splashed onto his back, burning against his exposed skin. 

"Really?" Qwuen smiled "Because I saw a wall yesterday before we landed. It was a ways off yet, but not half a day"

"Must be one of the nearby kingdoms then" Phil shrugged. He knew it wasn't working, but he needed to try and keep it up. He couldn't stop now.