Chapter Four

I was sat on my bed staring at my phone, the thing is I don't know if I want it to go off or I don't want it to go off. I knew that the message was coming and then I'd have to confront him. It's a lot easier to not talk to him if I don't see him. Just as I was getting caught up in my own thoughts a loud ding went off signalling I had received a message. I quickly swiped the screen and the message read:

"Hi Ava, sorry that I had to run off before to go to practice. I was thinking that we could catch up at Zoe's after school tomorrow?"

Zoe's is a small cafe in our town but its honestly the best, it had been my favourite place to go for the last couple of years after Noah and I found it when we were stuck in a storm once. I waited a couple of minutes to reply so he doesn't think that I've been waiting for his message.

"Hey, sounds good, see you then" I ended the conversation short just so I didn't have to keep replying in case I give in. The problem is, Noah didn't exactly do anything wrong. I remember hearing Noah and Max talking about me like it was yesterday. All four of us had decided that it would be a lot of fun to have a movie night and eat our weight in junk food. I suggested that we have popcorn and Noah jumped out of his chair and offered to go and get us some. It wasn't long after that when Max got up to help him. I didn't think much of it but about 10 minutes had gone by and I said that I'd go and see what they were doing. It was then that I walked in on the conversation that the two of them were having.

"what's going on with you and Ava, surely you two are together by now?" Max suspected.

"No way man, Ava and I are just friends and thats all believe me! I have this thing going on with Casey at the moment. Ava is one of those people that you're friends with, not that you date." It was then in a couple of sentences that I felt a stabbing in my heart. I felt as though I was worthless and wouldn't be good enough for anyone. I could hear that their conversation had come to an end so I turned on my heals and got out of there as fast as I could.

The memories of that night still hurt. I know that Noah was just being honest and saying how he felt but for me its hard to like someone and them not like you back at all. The memories coming to mind made me realise that it was time I talked to Emma about it. I hadn't told her because I felt as though it was my fault, I was clearly not girlfriend material. I quickly dialled Emma's number and asked her to come around for a movie night and that I would finally tell her why I hadn't been speaking to Noah. It was the perfect night to do it seeing as my mum and dad had a work function for my mum tonight.

A knocking on the door sounded through the house and I quickly jogged down the stairs to meet Emma at the door.

"Hey, thanks for coming over" I greeted her at the door

"Hey, that's ok anything for you" she replied.

We sat down on the couch after picking a movie that we both wanted to watch. I wanted to tell her everything now, I needed to get it off my chest and get it out of the way so we can have a relaxed night in.

I went through the whole story from start to finish and told her everything I heard Noah tell Max. Emma already knew that I had feelings for Noah, she could always see these kinds of things coming.

"Ava I'm so sorry that he said those things, he is probably just scared believe me I can see how he feels about you. You know what we need to do?" She tried to comfort me.

"what?" i questioned

"we have to make him realise that he likes you and I have the perfect idea on how we can get him to do that." she replied.