"Tussle, really?"  Heswyn whispers.

Thil shrugs, appearing awkward, but somehow determined all the same.

"He's speaking the truth."  They hear Delia's voice clarify.  "He only has my arms pinned in a compromising position."

"We'll even show ourselves.  However, Kagon of Pik must put his sword back in its sheath."  One of the men says.

"Fine."  Kagon says without hesitation.  "I don't need it to render you lifeless."  As promised, Kagon slides his sword back into its sheath.

"It appears you only have the training under your belt now, foolhardy hero."  Heswyn mocks.

Kagon ignores her as the men along with Delia leave the protection of the night's darkness to enter the moonlight shining through one of the library's stained glass windows.

The two people are Maud and Clydion, the men that had the Field Guide to Mythological creatures when Kagon had to retrieve it.  The black eyepatch on Maud's eye seems to meld with the dancing darkness as his arm tightens around Delia's arm.  The girl has nothing to protect herself, her dagger is not at her side and she only wears a night dress.

"Release her, trespassers!" Heswyn demands.

Maud ignores her and turns to look at Kagon, meeting his sky blue eyes with his single brown one. "Don't you remember me, hero? I'm the man you saved when I was wandering the barren grounds of Lanthos many years ago."

The memory hits Kagon like a block of un-sculpted marble. A dark haired man, with only a gory socket for an eye, stumbling across the rocky land. He had thought he remembered the man when he first saw him, now it all makes sense. "I do remember, but then why threaten us?"

"I've already told you that I come in peace, hero. After you rescued me I became a wretched thief in order to sustain myself, that was until my older and wealthier brother, Clydion found me.  He took me in and gave me a home, but even his kindness cannot heal my ailment."  He says.

"That is why I came to the library in search for a cure, only to find that there isn't one known.  That is when you barged in to collect the Field Guide to Mythological creatures.  Ever since I saw you, I knew that you could help with my ailment.  You're the only one I know that is daring enough to take on the challenge.  This has been proven to me by my shadow brother, the one you call Kip."

"I thought I sensed the Shadow Stain of Gahenna upon you." Kip says. "I've never encountered another person with the mark."

"Nor have I." Maid says, speculations the boy with his one eye. "You're a primary sacrifice aren't you?"

"He was a primary sacrifice, he isn't anymore." Delia states protectively.

"Once you have the Shadow Stain, you will always be a sacrifice. It is only a matter of time until his ailment overtakes him the longer he is from Gahenna, this I know. Unlike, your friend here, I am only a secondary sacrifice. The mark is much smaller on me, which gives me less power than the boy and also allows me more time away from The Pit. However, the distance has been slowly killing me every day."

"So what do you want my help for? You said yourself that there isn't a way to remove The Stain."

Clydion speaks for the first time. "My brother and I have come to believe that the answer to my ailment must lie in the Shadowlands. We have read every book that even references Gahenna and it seems going to the priest who bestowed the mark is the only way."

"Go to the Shadowlands?" Thil laughs. "You must be jesting. Gahenna's power is strongest where her followers are. Not to mention, you can't simply cross over the pit, Gahenna, into the Shadowlands."

"It is possible, how else have the Shadowlander's crossed into Lanthos without notice from any other country? But no, that is not how I plan to journey there. I plan to sail a vessel." Maud explains.

"Good luck with that." Heswyn snorts. "No merchant or naval vessel will be willing to sail you there, no matter how much money you bribe them."

"Well, my problem is Kip's. So, if you care about your friend then the problem is also yours. We can figure it out together." The one-eyed man says with a crooked smile.