Chapter 42

Ever since Delia received her dagger, over a month ago, she had watched Kagon and Kip's training sessions carefully.  Then, on her own time she would try to recreate their lessons with her dagger.  It was difficult for her, considering the difference between sword and dagger, but she managed to learn a thing or two.

However, she was still stuck on the sidelines during Kip's and Kagon's battles.  Still nonexistent after every single victory.

It gave her a lot of time to think, to worry over her lies....And wonder about the notebook Kagon returned to her back in Lanthos all that time ago.

Delia inhales the sweet air and then exhales slowly. 

Within the time since she received her dagger they had traveled farther across Pik's woodland landscape until they reached the Ta'ce river.  It was the same river that had carried Delia away from Kagon in the first place.  With no where else to go, they crossed the river --which acted as a border-- and into Lithko to continue their ventures.

However, they quickly recognized that Lithko's towns and villages were not under Shadowlander attack as of yet.  Despite this, Kagon decided to continue traveling through Lithko, battling any beast he heard whisper of a rumor about.

This lead them to where they are currently, which is nearly miles away from Lithko's great seaside city, Lit.  Lit being where Kagon set sail for Afflon when he decided to journey to find Azuel's mystical sword.

So much has occurred and it all seems like it's happened in such little time.

Delia runs a hand through her coppery blond hair as she watches the light off of Kip and Kagon's swords dance and reflect the fading sunlight. They've begun to train with real swords instead of the practice ones.

Kagon waltzes over the tall grass, Kip pursuing him with short sword raised.

He too has changed.

Within the time since Kip joined their group he has grown taller, now slightly taller than Delia. Kip and Kagon's daily training regimen has caused him to become stronger, sinewy muscle now shows in his arms as he moves.

He's no longer the weak boy who scarfed down all the food I gave him.

Adding to that, Kip has also grown closer to them all. His smiles are slightly more frequent, words more often. It makes Delia happy to see him begin to leave his shell. He deserves to be happy. To not have to live to survive, but to live to live.

"I see improvement." Kagon's voice carries over to her. "But you should add more tact into it. As I said before sword fighting is an art, not a punching contest."

Kip hesitates, but then speaks. "Art?" Kip responds breathily, sarcastically in that quiet voice of his. "You also told me that art is for little girls who do finger painting."

"They are two different kinds of arts." Kagon interjects.

"Then why can men paint masterpieces while women like Delia aren't allowed to learn the art of swordplay?" Kip's amber eyes cut over to Delia as he speaks.

Kagon's eyes widen and he laughs. "This is the first time you've spoken outrightly to me! All this fighting must be finally gaining your confidence back!"