Chapter 44

Whaddya know? This chapter wasn't that late after all:). Please don't forget to comment your theory's and thoughts on the story's overall plot. Thank you and have an awesome day!

~Ashlee

〰〰〰

Heswyn hums in thought as she thumbs through some of the many books on the many shelves.

On a teetering latter high above the ground.

Delia looks up, pressing her lips in concern, however the librarian looks anything but afraid.

How does she look so...nonchalant. If I were her I'd be shaking so hard that I'd topple over.

"Is everything alright up there?" She inquires.

Heswyn smiles through her search. "Just fine! The book I'm looking for should be somewhere on this shelf."

"And you think this can help Kip?" Kagon asks skeptically. "A book?"

Heswyn casts her gaze down at Kagon, appearing to have the same angry, calculative eyes as the goddess of wisdom, Falika, herself.  "Yes, a book has been more of a trusty weapon to me than any sword or shield."  She nods to Delia.  "A quill and parchment is a respectable weapon as well."

Kagon chortles, shaking his head. "A book? A quill and parchment?! Those can't cause injury."

"Untrue, actually. The pointed part of a quill could easily stab you in the eye. As for books, if my dear Aunt decided to drop one on you right now, then you could have a serious head injury."

Delia whirls around to face a tall, gawky looking young man in his early twenties with curly red-brown hair, hazel eyes that match Heswyn's, and wire glasses.

"Ah, Thil!  This is my old friend Kagon of Pik, his scribe Cordelia of Pik, and the young man unconscious on the table is their friend, Kipdale.  Delia and Kagon, this is my nephew Thil.  He --like me-- is a scholar that stays here and assists me in up-keeping the library.  However, he's often downstairs playing with the elements of nature in what he calls experiments."  She says, rolling her eyes.

Thil grins and pushes up his glasses.  "It is good to meet you all."  He looks up at his Aunt.  "However, it is not so good to see you teetering on that rickety latter again, Aunt Heswyn!"

Heswyn waves a hand, uncaring as she continues on with her work.

Thil offers Kagon a polite smile.  "I've heard of your ventures, Kagon."  He nods to Delia.  "As well as yours, Miss.  Word travels fast here.  Is it true that you both fought an army of Shadowlanders at the precipice of Gahenna and freed many of the people of Lanthos?"

"Well, we weren't literally on the edge of the chasm, but we were uncomfortably close to it."  Delia says.  "And it wasn't just us, we had some loyal men and women fighting at our side."

"I'm not surprised of these differences, when truthful stories travel they always seem to stretch themselves."  Thil says.  "However, that doesn't make your feats any the less heroic."

"No, of course not." Kagon agrees with an arrogant grin.

"Bah!"

Everyone looks up at the sudden sound.  A scowl pulls down Heswyn's lips and creases her brow.  "The Field Guide to Mythological Creatures has gone missing again."

"Not again." Thil sighs. "Last time that happened we had quite a bit of trouble."

Kagon chuckles. "Trouble over a useless book?"