30. (!)

Niall's POV

Getting ready for school the next morning seemed so much less dull than it usually did ever since I had started 'rebelling' against my parents again. Admittedly, getting involved with the boy I liked had caused me to feel a lot happier about everything else that was going on in my life.

Today was different because said boy was driving me to school. I hadn't seen him since we actually labelled ourselves as boyfriends. Maybe I was still trying to assure myself that it actually happened. Or maybe I was just scared that I would come off as being too clingy if I spent too much time with him.

Whatever the reason, my parents must have thought it was weird that I was out of bed earlier than I usually was. I rushed into the kitchen, seeing my parents sitting on the table as they always did. They barely even noticed that I had entered the room, until the unmistakable sound of a car pulling up outside our house.

"That'll be Harry," I muttered to myself.

"Harry? That delinquent who broke your heart?" mum asked, looking up from her mug of tea to stare at me with a confused yet still considerably angered expression.

"As if you care if he broke my heart. And yes, that 'delinquent' is giving me a ride," I rolled my eyes and turned around to leave.

"You're not seeing him again?" my father asked, though it didn't sound like much of a question. More of an angry statement. 

"What's it to you if I am? Last time I checked, you didn't give a shit what I did with my life."

"You will not speak to me like that," he hissed.

"What have we said about being involved with those kinds of people?" my mother piped up, giving me a similar expression to my father's.

"If the 'kinds of people' you're referring to are gay people, then need I remind you that I am one as well, so just give up. Now, unless you want me to be late for school, you'll shut up and let me leave," I rolled my eyes and exited the room.

The sight of Harry sitting in his car outside my house calmed me down only slightly and he seemed to notice my mood once I had gotten in the car with him.

"You alright, love?" he asked, kissing my cheek softly as I sat down on the cool leather of the seat.

"I'm fine. It's just my parents. They're being-- well, you know how they are," I shrugged.

"They're not causing you too much trouble, are they?" he seemed rather concerned, making me feel yet again like I relied on him way too much.

"I told you before, I can handle it. They've always been this way. I'll manage," I smiled at him softly, as if to show him that I was truly okay.

"I know you will. You're strong, even if your parents are-- for a lack of a better word, complete monsters. No offence," he replied, grinning at me softly. 

"Oh, they're definitely monsters," I agreed, feeling anything but offended by Harry's chosen words. 

"If they weren't the reason for you being here, then I'd probably have to go give them a piece of my mind," he told me. 

"Okay, one, that was incredibly cheesy, even for you. And two, you don't need to say anything to them. They're horrible and close minded, nothing you say is going to change that. And I don't exactly need you to come to my rescue all the time," I said, raising an eyebrow. 

"I know. I never said you did. But I want to come to your rescue. You don't need me to, but I think that I should let them know that you're like one of my favourite people in the world and I don't appreciate them treating you like this," he huffed.