Phoenix | Epilogue

Everything was spinning sickeningly. There was light and there was darkness. Doors opened and closed rapidly around me; the sound thundered through me like the blood pumping from my heart.

My heart was still beating.

I remembered the swirling ceiling of my room. I remembered the thunderstorm and the shocking green eyes. I remembered it all.

The doors snapped at my heels as I ran.

A dark laughter swirled around as I fell.

His eyes were two different colors.

"Where are you, Phoenix?" The voice taunted. "Is that what you want to know?"

I was breathless, and I couldn't remember why.

"Let...," I let darkness consume me for a few moments. The doors softened for those precious seconds. I wanted to sink into a dark sleep. "Let me go..." My voice sounded pathetic.

Shane stood in front of me. His eyes were playful and his lips were curved in a half smile. He held a hand out to me. I reached forward, leaning my body into him, just to meet the cold ground.

"Interesting," that horribly soft voice said. "You think of him first."

"Where am I?" I said, barely above my breath. The sound was muffled against the ground. I didn't have the will to lift my face up yet.

A searing hot hand grabbed my chin and yanked my face upwards. I stared at a hood with flames licking the outside. The Nightmare laughed. "You don't even recognize your own mind?" The hand threw my face back into the ground. "Pathetic."

"Let me go," I muttered again.

"Your body will be in a coma," The Nightmare ignorantly said. "You won't be waking up."

"Why don't you just kill me?" I mumbled into the strange, black floor.

"I need you alive for now, dear. Your body will serve me greatly."

I felt a twinge of anger. Of fury. Flames shot up around me, but they were small. They wouldn't have boiled a gallon of water.

"I really hope you didn't like those friends of yours. Baby sister, you were never good at keeping friends, were you?"

"I am not your sister," I snarled. "You are not Mackenzie."

"You're right," she agreed. "I'm so much better."