Shane | Too Close

I knew I should have never trusted Jake. He... Whenever I was near him, I got this terrible feeling. Sometimes it dulled, but usually... Now I knew. He'd killed his family. And this... It was like he wanted Phoenix close to him. I didn't know why, but I didn't like it. A part of me said that he'd kill her, too. Another part just said "asDfGHjKL;"

I gulped down my anger. "Phoenix, let him go." I growled, stepping forward.

At the same time, Jake stepped behind Phoenix and her in front of him. "Why?" Phoenix asked, her voice low and dangerous.

"Because that," I pointed a finger to the form behind her. Jake's eyes were glowing green like they had at the beginning of the vision. "Is a murderer." I spat the words like old, chewed gum.

Shyanne nodded silently beside me.

Phoenix's eyes shone silver, horror filling them. A satisfied smile played over my lips, thinking that she was going to throw him to the killer trees. Instead, Phoenix's wrath was focused on me. "What the hell, Shane?!" She shouted, moving towards me. "Man," She started, forcing a laugh. "I knew you were all jealous over Shy and I, but this..." She paused. "This is sick! SICK!"

"Phoenix..." Shyanne said, placing a gentle hand on her arm.

Phoenix spun around on her, then, too. "Oh, please! You're only supporting him because you want him!" She snapped, anger filling in her eyes.

"Phoen-" Shyanne was cut off this time as Phoenix twisted her hand off her arm.

"Shut up!" She yelled, stepping back to look at both of us. From under her dark bangs, her silver eyes glowed even brighter. Ash clung to her hair and soot smeared her cheeks. The silver of her snake bites shimmered as she took a moment to bite on the left one. "You're jerks, you know that?" She finally said.

"Phoenix, we're not lying. He's lying to you!" I tried to reason with the flaming ball of death under a shade of blue and black.

I wished I hadn't said anything. Phoenix growled audibly and jumped at me. Her fist had just met my face when a cold wind threw her back.

"Leave him alone!" Screamed Shyanne, her eyes growing into a darker green.

Phoenix looked horrified at Shy, then at her fist. "No." She finally said.

"Phoenix, stop." Begged Jake from behind her.

"You shut up, too, Leafy!" She retorted, not taking her eyes off of us.

"I-" Jake was cut short again.

"NO!" Phoenix shouted.

Jake locked eyes with me. For a moment, I was sure he was going to tell Phoenix to attack me, since he was obviously controlling her, but instead he spoke quietly, "They're right."

I let my shoulders down with a long exhale. Shyanne walked to me and leaned on my shoulder. Phoenix looked away as soon as she did this, turning to Jake.

"Don't lie for them." She said, her voice softening for him.

"I'm... I'm not." Jake finally admitted it. Of course he'd waited for me to get punched in the mouth first. I felt like I couldn't speak after that hit...

"Wh-what?" Phoenix stuttered.

Shyanne took the risk to walk over and wrap an arm around her shoulders. "Hey," she said smoothly. "Calm down, and we'll explain it all to you, okay?"

To my surprise, Phoenix nodded. She fell into the grass, silent, staring at Jake. "Tell me." She said quietly after a long silence. "But," She pointed to Jake. "You sit with me."