Shane | Promises and Sacrifices

"Take me instead."

It rang through my head as the Nightmare - no, Mackenzie's footsteps echoed closer to us. Three words were a mixture of happiness at Kayla's running to me and...

I couldn't give it a name. Years and years of reading books did me no good as I watched Mackenzie approach Phoenix.

"Why?" Mackenzie asked in a surprised tone.

"Because no one deserves to lose a sibling," Phoenix retorted in a way that sounded bitter.

There was a long silence. The only sound was Kayla quietly crying into my chest as I held her close. Her tiny body was shaking. I stroked her hair.

"Very well," Mackenzie said. "Erza!" The woman I'd nearly forgotten appeared out of shadows. She seemed more malicious now. The air around her seemed to suck all light out of itself. Erza walked silently, smirking, towards Phoenix. She bowed her blue haired head to the Shadow.

I heard something whiz past my ear, and realized Shyanne had fired an arrow directly into Erza's arm. Jake started to shift into leaves, preparing a major attack.

"You won't take her!" Shyanne cried. She nocked another arrow.

Phoenix raised her hand. She pulled the arrow out with a yelp from Erza. With a grimace, she let her hand become engulfed in flames. She used the heat to seal her wound. "This is my choice," she said firmly.

"Phoenix!" I cried out. It sounded far more desperate than I'd wanted it to.

She didn't even look at me. Erza took hold of her arm, and Mackenzie started out the opposite exit from Shyanne's army. Phoenix was pulled out. She didn't look over her shoulder at us. A part of me was glad, because I knew if I'd seen those beautiful silver eyes that I'd have leapt forward and killed Mackenzie right then and there.

Kayla pulled her face from my chest then and yelled after her. "Thank you!"

Phoenix turned for her. Her silver eyes seemed dead and defeated, but when she saw Kayla, they filled with a certain determined light. The ghost of that beautiful smile played across her face before she was yanked into the black hallway. Her crown was left on the ground behind her.

There was a long time where no one spoke. I wanted to look around, to run after her, but all that I did was stare at where she'd stood. Finally, I turned my face down to Kayla. She was staring at the archway, too.

Piper was the first to speak. "Fall back."

"What?" Jake asked in an outraged tone. "We can't just leave her here."

Piper ignored him. The small army began to walk defeatedly back down the halls.

"Pipes!" He cried out again.

"I don't want to," she said quietly, before flying after her fleet.

Jake and Shyanne took off running after her. I picked Kayla up and carried her after them.

Piper was the one I heard speaking. "We can't take her on with this group."

"Why not?" Shyanne roared.

"One is not worth the Rebellion."

"She is," I found myself speaking.

"She saved my life," Kayla agreed in a shaking voice.

Piper finally turned to stare at us with piercing brown eyes. "Which is why we're raising an army, child. We will go to each of the main animal clans and ask for help. One will go into Wonderland and get the help of the Red Queen."

Joie turned and flew back then, Jacki following. "Even the lions?" Jacki asked.

"And the Red Queen? She's insane," Joie agreed.

Piper sighed and flew forward again. "I made this mistake once. I will not make it again." She then began shouting orders for the Shadows, who started to teleport people back to the Base. Our small crowd was last.

It brought a smile to my face to watch Kayla's amazement.

Jake and I took her on a walk to explain everything. No matter where we went, we could hear Shyanne and Piper fighting. As far as I travelled, I kept hearing Phoenix repeat those words.

"Take me instead."

She'd sacrified herself for my sister, for me.

"Who is she?" Kayla asked. I gave her the look she knew as me wanting more information. "The girl... Phoenix?"

Jake jumped at the oppurtunity to talk about her. I felt a strange pang in my chest. "She's the Brave One, the Fire One, the Savior of Wonderland. She's powerful."

I spoke very softly compared to Jake. "She's amazing. I've never seen her really back down, though I haven't known her long. She's fearless."

Kayla nodded with wide eyes. "She sounds... Wonderful." She then turned to look me in the eyes. "You like her."

I felt my cheeks go red, and Jake cast me a glare over her head. It was a warning to keep away from Phoenix.

I quickly shrugged. "I don't know her well enough."

Piper's voice spoke behind me. "What he does know is that we'll be getting her back."

I jumped, and turned to find Joie, Jacki, Shyanne, and Piper all there. Shyanne had her bow on her back.

Then she did a strange thing; she started to sway. Her bow and quiver both disappeared. She looked terrified.

Kayla started to do the same. I grabbed her elbow to hold her up, but she was shaking violently. Her eyes were rolling back. I felt it, too then. The world began to go black. I couldn't stop everything from spinning.

"No!" Jake cried. I felt him grabbing at me, but all feeling started to fade.

"What's happening?" Kayla cried in a terrified tone.

Joie spoke first. "This is horrible timing."

"Just let it take you," Jacki quietly advised.

"You're waking up," Piper said. "The Dream Void thinks you're needed in your world at the moment. You will return when it lets you."

Phoenix flashed through my mind. I needed to get to her. I needed to save her.

I would save her.