The Truth

(A/N: I can't think of much more for this story so it will be ending soon though I'm not sure when, my creativity isn't as good as it used to be it seems. Anyway, I hope you're all ok and that you're enjoying the story :) thanks. Also you'll have to forgive me in this I'm not very good at fight scenes aha)

It had been two days since Megumi had shown up in Konoha, and each day I grew even more suspicious. She had been all smiles and acted friendly in an un-hostile way, but the feeling I got from her never left. The guilt built up as I began second guessing myself for my distrust but no matter what self talk I gave myself, the feeling never went away. She had been oddly curious about Naruto, but it seemed more like she was trying to learn about the boy who had become my younger brother figure. I had spoken to Tsunade and Kakashi of my suspicions and while they supported me saying they felt the same way, it didn't stop me from feeling the guilt of suspecting a friend. Tsunade had ordered that I kept an eye on her and watched her carefully when she was near Naruto. If she truly was a threat, then leaving her alone with Naruto was a bad idea.

Naruto was with Kakashi and Sakura training today while Yuki was playing with Hinata at our place. Hinata had been a consistent person in Yuki's life along with the rest of Naruto's friends. She was also the most amusing to watch when Naruto was in the room. The nervous, shy and love struck emotions that crossed her features would make me smile and wish for Naruto to realise already. When I had offered to step in, Hinata profusely refused my offer saying she didn't want Naruto to know until she was ready and he felt the same.
"Hina-nee! Hina-nee! Look look!" Yuki giggled, holding up her drawing. Hinata tucked a piece of her hair behind her ear and smiled down at Yuki, gazing at the picture with interest.
"Oh, is that Naruto, Katsu, Kakashi and you?" Hinata questioned her causing Yuki to beam and nod enthusiastically.
"Yeah! My family." Yuki grinned, seeming happy that Hinata had guessed correctly. Chuckling at her peppy behaviour, a shiver went down my spine and I felt that something was off. Glancing out of the window, I saw a figure rush past and recognised it to be Megumi.
"Sorry Hinata, I need to check up on something. Could you watch over Yuki for me?" I smiled apologetically.
"Of course." Hinata smiled in return so with a kiss on Yuki's forehead, I exited the building and followed after Megumi, making sure to keep my presence concealed.

After following Megumi to the Uchiha residence which was bare and held no signs of life except from Megumi's and someone else's chakra. However, both of their chakra was well hidden, except from the fact that I was rather sensitive to people's chakra after Orochimaru's experiments. Picking a place far enough away to stay out of their line of sight, but near enough to hear what they were saying and to be able to use my excellent sight to see who it was. My eyes widened and heart almost stopped when I saw who Megumi was meeting in the compound. Itachi. He was wearing the Akatsuki robe and a line going through his Konoha symbol on his headband. He hadn't changed much since the last time he was seen in Konoha, but he seemed colder than before. Megumi stood before him with a smirk on her lips while Itachi showed no emotion.
"How's the plan to capture the Jinchuriki?" Itachi asked with a glance to where I sat in the tree. My body froze as I realised that he knew I was there. But.... why wasn't he saying anything or doing anything about it? Why was he just letting me stay there?
"They're all warmed up to me well, so it shouldn't take long to lead him away and capture him. Katsu suspects something though, along with their Hokage." She shrugged, not seeming bothered that people were suspicious of her.
"Do you think they'll be a problem?" Itachi asked nonchalantly, not letting on that he knew I was there watching them as proof of my suspicions.
"No, they'll be a piece of cake to handle." She smirked, confident in her abilities to lie or fight.
"Very well, just hurry up about it." Itachi instructed, turning to leave. However, before he could move I leapt down from the tree and threw a kunai in front of his feet.
"Nice pretending, you knew I was listening in from the start Itachi." I smirked causing Megumi to spin round and Itachi to simply stare at me expressionless, but not before I saw a flash of an emotion pass across his eyes. "Guess I'm not very good at hiding when I feel suspicious." I sighed before narrowing my eyes and chuckling.
"You always were too perceptive about things, even as children." Megumi sighed, rubbing the back of her neck and pulling out some kunai herself. Itachi stood to the side looking un-phased by my presence and went to leave again. He jumped away and as I was about to go after him, Megumi stepped into my path stopping me.

We studied each other for a few minutes before she decided to do the signs and made a clone who stood next to her with multiple kunai of her own. We both wore challenging smirks on our lips while our eyes studied one another, waiting for the other to make a move. Using my chakra embedded kunai, I threw them towards her. Her eyes widened and she dodged quickly though her clone didn't. The kunai sunk itself into her clone and it disappeared in a puff of smoke while my kunai crashed through a house wall, while the others hit walls or made large dents in the floor. In return Megumi through her kunai at me but I deflected them with the kunai I held in my hand, causing them to go in opposite directions. Once she was in front of me I lunged and tried to cut her with the kunai but she brought up her arm and knocked it aside. At the same time she did the same thing and so I grabbed her arm and threw her over my shoulder. She flipped in the air and landed behind me, spinning to aim a kick at my head but I cut her with the kunai on the ankle instead. She let out a growl of annoyance and did hand signs before puffing her cheeks. As she let the air out, fire came out of her mouth in the form of the fire release. Diving to the side, I was quick enough to not get any permanent damage but the fire burnt the side of my left leg. The perks I received from Kabuto quickly kicked in and my skin began healing easily with little effort. Jumping up, I leapt into the air with kunai in hand and quickly embed my chakra into it causing it to become sharper. She tried to throw more kunai at me but I simply flicked them away, my instincts kicking in. Kicking her down, she landed on the floor and was about to get up but I pinned her down by straddling her. Meeting her eyes, I slammed the kunai into her chest. She coughed up a bit of blood which landed on my cheek but I ignored it and held the kunai in there, twisting so it caused more damage. She groaned in pain while blood seeped out onto her clothes, but her eyes were focused on my own.
"You.... really haven't...... changed much. Still.... strong....." She coughed out weakly before she drew her final breaths and her eyes grew dull and lifeless. Staring down at the now dead body, I felt no sense of remorse over what had occurred and instead felt myself becoming angry at the fact she had dared come near my family and tried to go after my Naruto. She deserved worse than death in my opinion. Footsteps were heard coming into the Uchiha residence and I looked up to see Tsunade, Naruto and Kakashi walking towards me. Naruto's and Kakashi's eyes widened while Tsunade's narrowed in on the dead body of Megumi.
"So, she truly was a traitor." Tsunade sighed, crossing her arms.
"She was working with the Akatsuki in an attempt at capturing Naruto. I simply removed a threat." I explained, my face stoic and my voice soft but low and annoyed.
"Katsu-nee....." Naruto breathed out.
"Katsu. Let's go home." Kakashi spoke up, offering out a hand to me. Seeing the look of disbelief on Naruto's face, I realised how uncaring I must look to him at having killed an old friend. Sighing, I felt the anger leave my body, only to be replaced by worry at Naruto's reaction. Not meeting Naruto's eyes, I stood up from the body and wiped at the blood on my cheek until it was gone then walked forward and took Kakashi's hand. Walking away, I heard Naruto following after us while Tsunade was barking orders at the ANBU members who had turned up moments ago. One threat gone. To think she used to be a friend of mine during our time at Orochimaru's lair......