Devastating News

Two weeks later....

Two weeks had passed since Naruto began training and he was training as hard as ever. It was raining here in Konoha which put a downer on the day, but I refused to let it stop me from going out and visiting Kurenai. She had wanted to see like Yuki again and so I said I would pop round with her. Leaving the house, we walked through town to her apartment building, an umbrella up to cover us from the rain as best as it could. At the building, we walked up the stairs and knocked on the door. She answered in a lovely red dress and with a smile on her face.
"Come in." She smiled, stepping to the side so we could walk in. Setting my umbrella down to the side, I slipped off my sandals while Yuki slipped off her own and she ran into the room, jumping up onto the sofa. Chuckling, I went to sit down beside her while Kurenai made us green tea. "It's terrible weather isn't it?"
"It really is. Naruto is still out training in this weather." I sighed then let out a laugh. "He doesn't let anything stop him..... Just like his parents."
"Just like you." She chimed in, coming to sit down next to me and handing me my cup. Smiling at her in thanks, I took a sip of the hot drink and was glad that it seemed to be warming me up.
"Just think though, when you and Asuma have a child...... Let's hope it turns out like you more." I chuckled with a wink. She laughed in response while Yuki played happily with the toys that were still at Kurenai's place. Keeping them at her play made it easier for Yuki not to forget them when we were coming here or leaving, also it meant that when she had her own child, there would already be toys here for him or her.

Some time went by and it was still raining which meant we couldn't go out anywhere, but we were happy enough staying indoors. Yuki was busy playing while Kurenai and I chatter about various things, children, relationships, the teams and more. We were just discussing Naruto as a child when there was a knock at the door. Kurenai got up from the sofa and walked over, opening the door to reveal a rather depressed looking Shikamaru.
"Ah, Shikamaru. Come in." Kurenai smiled, concern for why he looked so upset written on her face. Shikamaru stepped in and with a nod to me, he turned to her with a serious look on his face.
"I have something important to tell you......" He started. "During our mission, the Akatsuki defeated us and were too strong. Asuma-sensei.......... He.... died during the attack and saved us." It was silent after he spoke, even Yuki had stopped playing and was listening in. Kurenai's eyes widened and she froze before responding.
"Pardon? What.... did you just say?" She murmured,her voice breaking and tears gathering in her eyes.
"Asuma-sensei is dead....." Shikamaru sighed. "I'm sorry...." Kurenai's hand went to her mouth to cover the sob that escaped it as she fell to her knees crying. Standing up, I placed a hand on Shikamaru's shoulder and gave him a small smile.
"Thank you for telling us. Let me stay with Kurenai, ok?" He nodded in understanding, a pained look in his eyes and before he went I pulled him in for a hug. "You've been strong and I appreciate that. But remember, you don't need to hide your pain from us." I whispered into his ear while holding him tight against me. His body froze at my words before he pulled back and with a weak smile at me, he excused himself and left the apartment. Kneeling down in front of Kurenai's sobbing form, I pulled her against my chest and held her as she cried, her arms wrapping around me in return.
"Mama? What's wrong with Kurenai?" Yuki's innocent voice asked from behind me.
"It's ok sweetie, she just received some bad news. Come help mama cheer her up." Yuki nodded with a determined look on her face and she ran over, joining in on the hug. Looking out of the window, I sighed internally while holding back my own tears for my dear friend. Asuma..... Why did you have to leave us? Especially with your loved one being pregnant......

A few hours went by before Kurenai was calmed down enough to stand up. She had the most heart broken look on her face and it tore at my heart to see it. Standing up, she ruffled Yuki's hair while hugging me tightly.
"Thank you.... I just need some time alone...." She whispered, pulling back to smile weakly down at Yuki. "Thank you as well Yuki, when this child is born, can you help me? I'm sure my child would love for you to be like his or her big sister." Yuki nodded enthusiastically and a grin spread onto her lips as excitement coursed through her.
"Are you sure you want us to go? We can stay with you if you want?" I offered, unsure if leaving her alone was the best thing to do after she received the news.
"Yes, I'll be fine." She smiled, though it didn't reach her eyes. Letting out a sigh, I pulled her in for one last hug before picking up Yuki and leaving, grabbing the umbrella as we went.

Walking through the town, I saw that the weather had cleared up but the sun wasn't shining through as the sky was still clouded. My heart was tight in my chest as I thought of my dear friend being dead. The Akatsuki had done this? But why?! Why did they not care who they killed? How was killing innocent people the right thing to do for their cause? And why the hell was Itachi part of that cause? Looking down at Yuki, I felt my chest tighten painfully as I imagined what it would be like if anything happened to her or Kakashi. I couldn't go through that and I knew it would kill me inside. Oh Kurenai...... I'm so sorry......