Raspberry Ricotta Cake

Adapted from a recipe from Orangette

Adapted from a recipe from Orangette.com which was adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine.

Orangette and Bon Appetit are two of my favorite places to adapt recipes from. I thought this cake was going to turn out really dry and plain but the combination of ricotta cheese and butter made the cake literally melt in your mouth. It definitely needed more raspberries so I added those. But the raspberries really gave it a kick.

This cake is great for breakfast or with tea in the afternoon and even for an after dinner desert. Enjoy the recipe and let me know what you think.

Ingredients:

1 ½ cups all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

¾ teaspoon salt

3 large eggs

1 ½ cups whole milk ricotta

½ teaspoon vanilla extract

1 stick unsalted butter, melted

1 ½ cup frozen raspberries

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9' round pan. I used a springform pan. Cut out a piece of parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan.

In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, ricotta and vanilla until smooth. Stir the ricotta and the dry ingredients together, gently until just blended.

Fold in the butter followed by 1 cup of raspberries (don't crush them). Scrape batter into the prepared pan, smoothing evenly. Then scatter the remaining ½ cup of raspberries on top.

Bake the cake until golden brown and when a toothpick is inserted into the center it comes out clean. About 50 to 60 minutes.

Let cool at least 20 minutes before taking out of the pan. Completely cool before serving.