Chapter 02: The encounter

© Liesel Ridges

Chapter 02: The encounter

"What are the terms and conditions?" Christopher asked.

"Well, firstly, you do not have a body now so you will be returned to Earth as a soul. The soul will only be visible to the one who loves you most and only he or she would be able to see you. This, we term as 'haunting.'" He said.

Pff. Haunting. How apt.

Christopher thought as he weave through the crowd.

Even though he is a soul, passing through a human body wasn't a nice feeling at all. It made him all weak and wobbly, as if he was going through another round of death.

He quickly learnt to stay clear of human beings.

"You will only allow to complete your last wish when you have fulfill their wish." Christopher recalled him saying.

Well, looks like "no free lunch" is evident in either worlds.

Only the one who loved you most would be able to see you.

Christopher smiled.

Sarah...

He could only think of no one else.

---

Elaine Kristen began her day as usual in the Lyolds Toys Enterprise as news of Christopher's car crash spread throughout the building.

After the morning briefing, she slumped into her office chair and her face in her hands. She hasn't slept a wink yesterday night.

How could she?

After a devastating call in the evening from the police, Elaine stayed in the Hospital throughout that gruelling 15-hour surgery.

He was barely alive when the first response team got to the scene. He was in critical condition when he arrived in the hospital and has lost a lot of blood.

While the surgery was on-going, ahe had to call in her team to pull down any possible reports or pictures that have reached the news. While those reduced to a rumour, online netizens still circulates the possibility of Christopher's death.

"Miss Kristen? " A voice called out to her.

She took in a deep breath before she replied,

"Yes?"

"I've knocked several times --" Charlotte, her secretary replied as she walked in.

"Are you alright?" She asked, concerned.

Elaine sighed.

"I guessed so." Elaine replied.

Charlotte was the first person she called after that faithful call. A motherly figure in her mid-forties, Charlotte has two children of her own and she always looked after Elaine liked her own. In the office, Elaine trusted her most.

"Well, what did the doctors say?" She asked. Elaine bursted into tears.

The surgeons exited the operation theatres with a heavy heart.
"How's Christopher? " Elaine asked anxiously.

They shook their heads.

"We're sorry, Mam. We've tried our best." The chief surgeon replied.

"His head injuries are too severe. I don't see how he could ever recover." He said.

"He's currently under life support system?" Charlotte asked.

"Doctors gave me a week to make a decision." Elaine said in between her hiccups from crying.

Charlotte held her hand to her mouth, obviously shocked.

"What should I do?" Elaine asked.

Charlotte held Elaine in her arms. It was all she could do.

----

Christopher wondered in the streets looking for signs to Sarah's house, but when he was supposed to make a turn left, a force took over and made him move forward insread of turning.

wtf?

Where the hell is he heading?

Then he realised, Sarah wasn't the one who loved him the most.

If it wasn't Sarah, then who?

A funny tingling deep inside him gave an answer.

Elaine.

----

With the help of Charlotte, she made it through the day. As the day unwinds, she heads down to the store at ground floor to take her usual stroll around the store.

Elaine was left in that very same store by her mother one day when she was very 3 years old. Her mother purposefully left her there and walked out from her life completely.

When it was time to close the store, Mrs. Lyold found her still sitting by the play area alone.

Police and social services were called in. They still couldn't track who her mum was as she didn't know her mother's name.

After the ordeal, Mrs. Lyold took her home as foster and she never left.

Even her name, Elaine Kristen; was given by Mrs. Lyold, whom Elaine affectionately called 'Mum'.

Ever since she was old enough to work.in Lyold Enterprise, she made sure she takes a stroll in the store every evening, a ritual she faithfully continued every night for the past 6 years.

"Ms. Kristen, we are done with closing. Do you want to leave with us?" Colin, the flagship store manager politely asked.

"You guys go ahead. I will lock up later when I leave." She replied. He nodded and left.

Elaine remembered that time she was found. It wasn't Mrs. Lyold actually, but Christopher himself.

I still remembered those big curious eyes.

She smiled to herself, all those memories coming back to her again.

Suddenly, a box dropped from the shelf making a huge bang.

It startled her.

She knew all the store crew had left, and there definitely wasn't any draft in the store. She took a step closer, and grab what looks like a toy guitar from the shelf as a sort of weapon to arm herself.

"Who's there?" Elaine asked cautiously.

In the shadows, a dark figure stirred. A cold chill went down her spine.

In the dark, Christopher swore. She saw him? He risk a test and stood up and walked out to the aisle.

Elaine eyes widen. The Guitar hero toy guitar fell from her grasp. It fell with a huge 'clang'.

Her shock registered through the roof. It is impossible.

She screamed.