Letting go

The wind blew gently across the cemetery, the cool air sending a slight chill through Wade's body. He stood there alone, looking down into a grave. A shiny, black coffin sat comfortably in the fresh dirt. He sighed, his breaths became shaky and his eyes began to tear up. Cut scenes of Harley's death continuously played in his head as he stared at the coffin.

In his hands, a single yellow rose with red tipped petals, with three thorns protruding from the stem. A clean, new gravestone stood proudly on the outside of the grave, engraved in it read "Harleen Frances Quinzel- 26/1/1985-23/5/2016."

"Harls, I'm sorry for everything, I know you didn't want any of this, but I wasn't going to let you have the hard way out. I was fighting for your love and I didn't realise how carried away I was getting, I was hurting you more than I was hurting myself. I love you and I wanted you to know that you're the best thing that's ever happened to me" Wade said, wiping his eye. He wiped his hand on his combat suit and tossed the rose into the pit. A light tap on the coffin lid broke the silence.

Soft footsteps came from behind Wade, but he did not turn to look. A single burgundy rose fell into the grave and landed on top of Wade's. Wade looked over to see The Joker staring into the grave, his gloved hands held together in front of him and his head hung. He wore a black tux and his green hair was slicked back.

"She meant everything to me. I didn't realise what I had done until I left. I am now like a king without his queen, a dog without it's ball. I'm empty without her" The Joker managed to say.

"You're not the only one. I had to put her out of her misery, she was going to live in pain for the rest of her life" Wade replied. Silence. The two stood there, staring at the coffin, thinking of their memories with Harley.

The Joker's mind was flooded with images of Dr Harleen Quinzel, questioning the once imprisoned Joker. His mind focused from this, onto Harley seducing the Joker. He smirked wickedly at the thought of her.

Wade's mind fluttered onto the moment the two met, her blue eyes, her blonde hair. Her perfect legs, her smile. Her bat in his face. He quickly moved onto the sex, but then became distracted by the fatal moment when the Joker slit her throat. Shivers ran down his spine. Wade moved over to the dirt pile, picking up one of the shovels that stuck out of the mound and shoveling the dirt back into the hole. Dirt slapped on top of the coffin, covering the delicate roses. The Joker looked at him, scrunching his eyebrows. "What... are you doing?" he murmured deeply, his cold eyes glaring at Wade as he dug into the dirt.

"The gravedigger said he'll be back in ten minutes, so it's best we hurry" Wade said, shoveling the dirt quickly into the grave. The Joker sighed and walked over to the pile of earth, digging out another shovel He began to pile it into the grave, grunting as he jabbed the shovel into the dirt pile.
Minutes later, the two pat down the surface of the grave gently and let the shovels fall to the ground. The two men sat on the soft grass that surrounded the grave, running their fingers through the green blades, listening to the whispers of the trees.

They looked at each other, Wade slightly smiled, while The Joker couldn't even crack one. Wade knew he couldn't say much to lighten the mood, after all, it was a funeral.

"I'll just, uh, go. You need some time with her." Wade said, making his way to the gate, but stopped. He turned back and said "Oh, the gravedigger's name is Billy. When he comes back, he accepts bribes of fifty dollars, graham crackers and porno mags from the seventies." The Joker looked at him strangely, then laughed devilishly under his breath. Wade grinned and made his way back to the gate. He felt a slight weight had been lifted off of his shoulders, like a truce had been made.

Harley's laughter ricocheted in The Joker's head as he lay down next to her grave, continuously stroking the patch as if it were her own body. The Joker turned his head towards Wade and whispered harshly "Thank you," while running his hands over the course dirt surface of his beloved's grave.

                                                -------------------------------------------------------------------
Thankyou so much for reading my fanfic 'Dangerous Love'. I had so much fun writing it, but sadly it has come to an end :(
Once again, a giant thankyou to TheRogueOne_ for being an amazing help with this book, you've honestly done so much to make this book what it is and I'm so grateful.
And one more thankyou to my readers (and hopefully fans) for sticking through this journey with me, this is my first successful story and I really hope you enjoyed it.
*clink*
-theautumnsoldier_
Chicka chicka ;)

 *clink*-theautumnsoldier_Chicka chicka ;)