Chapter 15

"Be a skimpy Playboy bunny." Louis' high pitched voice teases.

"Really, Lou? Really?" I flip through a stupid magazine filled with lame costume ideas while talking to Louis on the phone.

"Oh, c'mon, everyone likes a good Regina George on Halloween!"

"I'm not a slut!" I harshly whisper into the phone. Whenever I talk about these kind of things I end up getting flustered.

"Rae, you're eighteen years old on Halloween. Being a slut is expected." His contagious laugh fills the other line.

I huff and throw the magazine onto the floor. I pull my feet up onto my bed and lean my back against the wall. "What are you being?"

"Probably some shit costume, it most likely won't be anything specific. I just like getting trashed."

I roll my eyes even though he can't see me. "How lovely. Have fun with that."

"Oh, you're coming with me, Rae. And Harry's flying in too. It's gonna be a big night." I can hear the excitement in his voice.

"Harry's visiting?! That's awesome! I can't wait to meet him!" My voice strangely goes up an octave and I clear my throat.

"Yeah! He's heard all about you. He's eager to meet you too. The night's gonna be sick."

I smile into the phone. "Well, if we're going out, I really don't know what to be."

"Playboy bunny!" Louis says again.

"Forget that, Louis! I'm not doing it."

"Fine." He exhales. "Mermaid?"

Mermaid? That could be good. I picture the costume in my head and begin to like it.

"That's actually good, Lou! Thanks!"

"I'm here all week." There's a short pause. "Hey, maybe you should bring someone along with me and Harry."

"Why?"

"Well, I mean, me and Harry are obviously together, and you don't want to third wheel, do you?"

Oh, I didn't even think of that. It won't be bad though, will it?

"I won't necessarily be third wheeling... things won't be that bad will they?"

"Hmm, you're going to be alone with a drunk gay couple on Halloween."

"Oh." I breathe.

The line is silent and then quickly flooded with Louis chiming laugh.

"Maybe find someone just in case." He adds.

I agree, now that he's mentioned the whole situation that will go on. But who?

"I don't really have any other friends..." I quietly say. I pick at the lint on my socks and try to forget about the people who used to be in my life.

Louis exhales loudly, clearly thinking about Connor and the two Barbies.

"Oh!" He suddenly squeaks. "Blondie!"

Blondie? Oh...

"Niall?"

"Yeah! Invite him!"

"I don't know Lou, I don't really know him." I explain.

"Oh, c'mon Rae. Just fuck it! Invite him!"

Hmm, Niall. I sang with him once, and that was it. He doesn't really know me, wouldn't the night be awkward? I do have his number...

Louis ends the silence, ending my thoughts. "Invite him, Rae."

And with that, he hangs up the phone.

"You little shit!" I whisper to my phone.

Should I invite Niall? I mean, when I met him he was nothing but nice. I don't really want to third wheel with Louis and Harry, but I'm not fond on hanging out with someone I barely know either.

That's how you became friends with Louis. My subconscious says.

"Fuck it." I pick up my phone and walk over to my desk, shuffling through the papers on my desk until I find the napkin.

Hey Niall, it's Rae, the one you sang with last week? Me and my two friends are going out on Halloween and I was thinking maybe you'd like to come? If you don't have any plans.

I stare down at my phone, a sudden nervous feeling growing in my stomach.

Hey Rae ! I was wonderin when you'd get my napkin haha. That sounds class ! Course I'll come out with ya ! We wearin costumes ?

An unexpected smile tugs at my lips as I read his text.

Yeah, wear a costume! I'll text you later with details.

Alright , sounds good ! Can't wait !