Chapter 14

A/N: I am so, so, so sorry for such a late update. I literally have been non-stop busy, and to be honest, I really didn't think anyone was reading my story. Hell, I still don't think anyone's reading it. But I missed updating... so I'm back!

My body is practically melted into my king sized bed as I lie next to Louis. The lights are off, and the only ounce of light shines from the star nightlight plugged into the outlet next to my door. I turn my body over to lay on my side, and I look up at Louis who is blankly staring at my ceiling.

"Are you okay?" I quietly ask him.

After Connor's mortifying outburst, me and Louis walked back to my house in silence. He called his host mother, lying that he was staying the night at Connor's, ironically. My mom wasn't even home, and even if she was, she'd be too drunk to notice a boy was sleeping over.

"No." His soft voice cracks.

My heart hardens at his saddened word, and I place my palm on his upper arm, stroking his soft skin up and down.

"I had no idea he would actually be like that." He quietly adds. "Ever since I arrived here at the end of August he was nothing but nice to me." He sighs. "I told you I was afraid he'd judge me, but I never knew he'd actually take it this way."

I let out a deep breath of air I was holding in. "The world is full of surprises." My simple words probably don't do much, but Louis nods in agreement.

"He isn't worth it. Anyone like that doesn't deserve friends."

Louis turns his head to the left to look me in the eyes within the darkness. "Especially like us."

A smile spreads across my face and I lean my head into his shoulder. "It's only been two weeks and you're already the most amazing friend I could ever have."

"I know." He teases.

~~~

"Mom, I'm heading out for school!" I call out.

"Whatever." Slurred words come from upstairs.

I roll my eyes for the fourth time this morning and frantically look for my keys. Where are they? I back track in my mind throughout all the the shit that went down over the weekend and try to recall the last time I used my car.

Friday night, I was going to drive to Starbucks but Louis insisted. My leather bag.

I rush up the stairs two at a time and rush towards my desk. I pick up my bag and turn it over, spilling out all its contents to the floor. I'm in a hurry so I don't worry about the mess I just created, and I sift through all the pointless shit that my bag holds.

Mascara, mirror, chapstick, wallet, tampons, sunglasses, white napkin...

White napkin?

I pick up the soiled piece of paper and uncrumple it, revealing scribbled black ink.

It was great to sing with you.

Let's do it again sometime!

913-555-2010

-Niall

I stare down at the number in my hands and blink a couple of times. I completely forgot about Connor throwing this at me the other night. I was just so pissed off at Connor that my anger clouded everything else that happened at the bar.

I push away the bad memories and remember the good, like singing with Niall. I was so fucking nervous up there, but singing with him felt awesome.

I shake my head, and the image of Niall's face in my brain disappears. I shove the napkin into my back pocket, grab my keys, and run downstairs.

I'm gonna be so damn late to school.

~~~

I fumble with my lock as the weight of my backpack gets heavier on my shoulders. When it finally opens, I pull the heavy burden off my back and squat down, pulling my binders out of my bag and shoving them into my locker.

"Hey there, Rae, did you do all of that homework? Or were you spending all your time with that British prick instead?" I hear the familiar mousy voice behind me. My back stiffens and I ignore Scarlette as I continue to put my books in.

"Oh, so now you're too good for us then?" Regina's voice carries behind Scarlette's.

My ears perk up at their bitchy attitudes, but I don't turn around. That's exactly what they want.

"You always were a fucking loser, Rae. Before your cancer, and after. Stop trying to play innocent because you used to be sick, it's not working." She lets out an arrogant chuckle. "You're back in school and lets face it, nobody cares about you. They never did." Scarlettes venomous words slap me across the face, and I feel hot tears starting to brim in my eyes.

Fuck this shit, I am not letting them break me down. 

I stand up and turn around to face the two Barbie Dolls I used to call my friends. 

"I tried apologizing, girls. I did. I made one honest mistake and you can't even forgive me for that? Am I not allowed to have another friend? Last time I checked you weren't the best of friends to me. Leaving me flat only after a couple of weeks in the hospital isn't really a sign you care about me."

I pick up my backpack and slam my locker closed, locking it quickly.

"You can call me a loser all you want, and you can say all that hurtful shit, but no matter how cruel you are to me because I made one simple fuck up, it doesn't make up for the fact that both of you are artificial bitches."

I smile sweetly at them and walk away before I can see either of their mouths drop to the floor.