Chapter 12

I feel the lump rise in my throat as I stare at Niall from across the club.

"No way." I state.

Louis whips his head to look at me. "Yes. We had a bet... and this is what I want you to do." 

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

I groan in frustration, looking up at Louis with pleading eyes.

"Can't you have me do something else?" I half-whine.

"Nope."

Ugh. "Fine." I sigh. "Damn, I hate you."

Louis chuckles at me. I look at Connor who's face is twisted into confusion.

"A bet." I tell him.

He cocks his head to the side but doesn't say anything more.

"How do I go about this?" I ask Louis.

"Just walk up to him and ask if you want to do a duet."

"What if he says no?" I question.

"I doubt it. He likes to sing, and you're a pretty girl." 

I see Connor tense up at Louis' choice of words but I decide to ignore it. I get up from the table and pause, wiping my palms on my leggings before walking away from the table.

It feels like a million years as I walk towards Niall. What if he thinks I'm weird? He'll definitely think I'm completely out of it. Who goes up to someone they barely know and asks to sing a fucking duet with them? Nobody.

I finally get to where he is standing and freeze. He's talking to a man in a black button up shirt, the bodyguard that lets people into the club.

"Hey, uhh..." I stutter out.

Niall breaks his contact from the bodyguard and looks at me. 

"I'll chat with ya later, Paul." He dismisses him.

He turns his attention towards me and slings the guitar strap higher up on his shoulder.

"I know you." He says.

I nervously smile. "And I know you." 

I tuck a piece of hair behind my ear. "I know this sounds really strange, but will you, um, will you sing a duet with me? Up on the, the um, the stage?"

Wow Rae could you be any more embarrassing?

The blue in his eyes glisten. "Really? A duet?" He asks.

"Umm, yeah." 

"Do ya sing?" 

Do I sing? I mean I sing in the shower, I don't think I'm bad... but I've never sang in front of anybody before.

"I think so?" It sounds like more of a question.

"Hmm..." He taps the dimple that is prominent on his chin. "We'll just have to see. Let's do it."

I nod at him. "Let's go then."

~~~

Before I know it, Niall and I are up on the small stage, sitting on two stools placed next to eachother. The one light that beams down on us feels way too hot on my skin. I see Louis sitting at the table in the back. He gives me a thumbs up, smiling widely.

I mentally flip him off for making me do this.

Niall leans is head in to speak to me. "You definitely know this song, then?" 

I nod, too nervous to say anything.

The chords starts to play from Niall's guitar. I close my eyes and wait for my verse.