Chapter 8

I lie in my bed, looking up at my dark ceiling. It's 12:30 in the morning, and ever since I came home from Zeusos, my house has been empty.

My mother is probably out drinking again, it wouldn't surprise me. She's despicable. She doesn't even make an effort to quit. I've suggested to her countless times to go to an AA meeting, but she always ends up cursing me out and stumbling out the door.

Tommy has been paying our bills, and my mom doesn't even thank him for it. He lives in an apartment down in the city, working his ass off to barely get by for the both of us. I know he's only paying the bills because of me. Let's say I died from my cancer, he would drop my mother faster than a scolding hot tray of cookies. But he knows I need to be taken care of, and that's why he does it, and that's why I love him.

I rip my bedding off of me and escape the warmth of its blankets. I can't sleep.

Scarlette and Regina haven't texted me back yet, and I'm beginning to worry. I wonder if they won't be friends with me again. 

No, they wouldn't do that, would they? This was one simple mistake, they have to forgive me.

My phone buzzes from my bed and I see that I have a text from Louis. I almost forgot I gave him my number when we went out tonight.

You awake?

I wonder what he's up to.

Yup. Couldn't sleep.

Me neither. I meant to ask you a question tonight, but I decided it wasn't the right time to ask.

Uh oh. 

Yeah?

Where did you get that black eye? I noticed it under your foundation. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. 

I sigh, looking down at my phone. Should I tell him the truth?

I'll tell you, but you have to promise not to tell anyone.

I've decided to go with the truth. Can't start a friendship off with lies.

Promise.

My mother got drunk the other day and slapped me across the face for "talking back at her."

I hold my breath and wait for his response.

Shit, really? Are you okay? Has she done it before?

I'm fine... this was the first time she's done it, and hopefully the last.

LOUIS' POV

I look down at my text in shock. I can't believe her mother hit her like that. I imagine what it would be like, watching your drunken mum back hand you across the face.

Is she home now? Is she drunk?

 She's not home... she's out at the bar I'm assuming. She's there almost every night.

Poor Rae. It must be awful to have to deal with that burden.

Is your dad home?

...He's dead.

Fuck.

I'm so sorry Rae, I didn't know.

I feel ten times worse now.

It's okay Louis, you didn't know.

Do you want me to come over? I could bring some movies, we could talk about it if you want.

Maybe she'll be up for it?

No talking about it,  but bring the movies :) 

I smile at my phone and get out of bed, rushing over to the pile of DVD's next to my TV and picking out a few good ones.

RAE'S POV

Louis arrives in less than fifteen minutes, and I'm relieved when I hear a quiet knock at the door. I quickly race down my stairs and walk through my unlit hallway, reaching the door and swinging it open.

Louis is wearing red Coca Cola pajama pants and a Flash Gordon tee shirt. His hair is kept inside a navy beanie, and he holds several movies in one hand. He gives me a huge grin and I wrap my arms around his neck, bringing him in for a hug.

"Thanks for coming." I say into his ear.

"No problem Rae, I thought you'd need a friend." His words warm my heart.

I invite him inside and lead him into the kitchen. He sets the movies down on top of the counter and sits in one of the black stools that surround the table.

"Cup of tea?" I ask him.

"Of course." He replies happily.

As I make the tea, a feeling of joy overcomes me. Louis is my new friend. I met him only today and he's already coming to my rescue, sitting in my kitchen at one in the morning. 

Louis almost reads my mind. "Hey, Rae, I'm actually really glad we've become friends." 

I turn around and lean my back against the counter. A huge grin spreads across my lips. He returns the gesture and by the expression on my face, he knows I feel the same way.

~~~

By three in the morning, Louis is at my door, ready to go back home. We ended up watching Magic Mike, which was enjoyment to us both.

"You know you could stay." I tell him as he's about to walk out.

"I wish I could, but my host mum needs the car for work, and I'm not willing to drive back to my house at seven in the morning."

I nod my head in understandment and say goodbye to him. He gives me a quick hug and jogs back to his car, which is parked on the side of the street.

I close the front door and head back up to my room, immediately going to my bed and settling under it's warm blankets. It only takes five minutes before sleep finally overtakes me. 

I dream about the blue eyed boy that has now become my new best friend.

[Sorry this was so short, but if you want me to write longer chapters, you have to comment and vote! I want to know if you like the story or not before getting too into it.]