Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

"Well... they're not technically my family-"

"They raised you, and they love you. That's a family if I've ever seen one." She smiled. "You have so many siblings."

"Yeah. There's me, then Phoenix, Robin and Spencer. Ma and Pa are really happy together."

"Ha. I dunno how I'd deal with so many people in one family." She showed her her phone. "This is my mom, my dad, and Luna."

Elle stared at the pictures. Demi was a startling replica of Maya, down to the colour of her eyes and skin tone. It was certain, without even looking- this was definitely Demi's family. Not Elle's.

"Oh. They look nice."

"Yeah, they're awesome." Her smile faded slightly. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing!" said Elle. "Well, I'll quickly ask you the questions I have here, then. Let me send a quick text to my dad."

"Sure, no problem."

Elle pulled out her phone and typed down a quick message. There was no point in making him wonder, or worry about whether or not it was his daughter. There was a long way to go.

Elle: its not demi

<><><><><><><><>

Phoenix was dreaming.

He knew he was dreaming- this was the third time this week that he had had this same dream. It was dark, rainy, and he was being carried.

He wasn't the same size he was now. He was tiny, like a baby, and he was being carried through the rain. It was cold, and he could just see a woman's face above him. Dark curly hair and dark brown eyes. It was hard to distinguish between the tears and the rain on her face.

Then, she was gone, there was bright light, and then there was a scream.

He woke up, panting. "Stupid nightmare," he mumbled under his breath. He knew, though, even as he said it, that it wasn't a nightmare. It was something more than that. No, this... was a memory.

He shook his head, and Nita lifted her head. "Hey, girl," he said quietly, and she came up to him, licking his face. He laughed slightly. "Come on, girl, down. Let's get some water."

She followed him to the bathroom in Ma's room- she was asleep, and didn't wake up when Phoenix walked in with Nita. He filled his water bottle, then heard Ma speaking. "Ma?"

"Can't... don't... please..."

He walked to her bed quietly, Nita following him. "Ma? Are you okay?"

"You... please, no..."

He shook her. "Ma! Wake up!"

She gasped, shuddering awake. "Nick! Nick, what's wrong?" she said in a slurred voice

"You were dreaming," he said. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she said quietly, sitting up with a sigh. "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm sorry."

"It's okay."

"You should go back to bed, darling, it's late," she said. "I might make myself some tea."

"Okay. G'night."

"G'night, darling."

Phoenix left with Nita, and Ryan sighed, sitting up in bed and rubbing her eyes. She sat up, grabbed her glasses, and went outside, where the horses stayed.

She hadn't ridden Polka for the longest time, though Phoenix loved to go on Blaze constantly. Perhaps it was about time that she taught Robin how to ride properly. She stroked Polka's mane, who whinnied softly and nuzzled her face into Ryan's hair. She chuckled. "Oh, it's been a while, hasn't it, girl?"

The Road Ahead (A Hunter Hayes Fanfiction, Book 4 of The Hardships Saga)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara