Chapter Thirty

❝find (pronounced fʌɪnd or fahynd), verb
to discover something previously unknown❞

"Packed everything?"

"Yep."

"Have you got a bottle of water? You should eat something."

"Ry, it's five am. We'll grab something along the way. We're travelling everywhere, remember?"

"I know, just-" She sighed. "You're leaving for so long."

A year long tour, the first of its kind, was upon Hunter and Elle. They were going to travel together, with a new twist- they'd visit every state at least once, and have surprise shows wherever they needed to go. It was a surprise show tour- the fans knew it was happening, but had no idea when Hunter would visit their state. It probably wasn't the best idea in terms of marketing, but it was always possible to have encores at states that requested it the most.

"I'm gonna miss you, my dove," he said gently. "We'll be back whenever we can, you know that."

"No," she said, shaking her head. "You need to do this. Don't worry about me, I'll be able to look after the kids okay."

"I know you will," he said. "I'm just worried about you."

"Me?"

"You haven't been sleeping."

"Just nightmares, Hunt, the same old thing."

"Are you sure?"

She smiled. "Of course."

"I just-"

"Hey," she said, taking his face in her hands. "You've got work to do. Now do it."

"You think we'll find them, Ry?"

"Do you want to?"

He shrugged slightly. "I... I dunno. It's not... it's complicated."

"Listen," said Ryan gently. "Think of it in a positive way. If you find her, then you've found your daughter, and Elle finds her family. And if you don't, then we keep the daughter we've already got."

He nodded, then hugged her. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you, too. But you'll call every day?"

"Of course. I love you."

"I love you more." She kissed him gently. "Go on, now, you'll be late."

Elle was already in the car, looking at Hunter. "Ready?"

"Yep." He gave Ryan one last kiss, before climbing into the car. The kids were asleep- none of them were willing to wake up at five am except for Phoenix, who waved as they drove away.

"Did you say bye to them?"

"Yeah, while you were in the shower."

"Ready to get started?"

She nodded slightly. "I said bye to Drew yesterday."

He looked at her with a small smile. "Well, darling, you'll miss him, but you'll always be able to call him when you need him."

"Yeah."

"Did he wish you a happy birthday?"

She frowned. "Huh?"

"Haven't you seen the date today?"

"What... what's the date today?"

"October the eighth." He smiled slightly. "Happy Birthday, pumpkin."

"Huh. Sweet sixteenth."

"How do you feel?"

"Not any different, I guess."