Chapter Sixteen

❝drug (pronounced drʌɡ or druhg), noun
a habit-forming medicinal or illicit substance, especially a narcotic.❞ 

A month went by, and everything was going smoothly. Ryan was still a bit wary of trying for a child, and thankfully, Hunter seemed to understand her desires. Elle was happy, Phoenix was painting, Robin was getting her yellow belt soon, and Spencer helped in the kitchen as much as he could.

Ryan opened her eyes, feeling ill. She cursed quietly under her breath, looking at the time. "Hunt, honey, time to get going, it's six-thirty," she croaked, and he stirred. Her throat was hurting badly, and she realised that she had a fever. "Wake up," she said softly.

He did so, and frowned. "Ry? You look terrible."

"Just what I needed to hear on a Monday morning," she muttered, sitting up and turning on the bedside lamp.

"Sorry, I didn't mean... wait, hold on." He sat up and tested her forehead. "You're sick."

"I'm fine," she mumbled. "We've gotta get the kids to school."

"Ry-"

"No, Hunt. I'm not staying at home, I need to fill out the last bits of paperwork so that I can start next week."

"Next week is next week, just rest today. I'll look after you, I've got a day off."

"No, I'm-"

Hunter stood up, gently pushing her back down. "I'll bring you some DayQuil, stay here. You're ill."

"Who's gonna drop the kids off?"

"Elle can take the bus, I'll drop off Robbie and Nick, and I'll take Spence with me so he doesn't bother you."

"Are you s-" She broke off into a fit of coughing, and Hunter nodded.

"Yes, I'm sure. Now rest up. I'll bring you DayQuil."

She nodded weakly, and lay back down. Hunter quickly went out and woke up the kids, taking them to school and giving Elle money for the bus. Once he got back home, he put some soup on the stove, and went back to the room, where Ryan was resting. Spencer was happily watching cartoons in the living room.

"Honey?"

"Yeah?" she croaked.

He sighed. "You must've gotten sick last night. I saw you coughing."

"I feel awful," she said.

"Have you eaten anything?"

"No, I slept."

"I've made you some soup."

She sat up, her eyes looking tireder than usual. "Sure. I'll have some. Thank you."

"No problem," he said, going out and ladling some of the soup into a mug. He grabbed some bread for her to eat it with and took it back.

She smiled slightly, taking the mug. "Careful, it's hot," he said, and she nodded, taking a small sip.

"It's delicious," she said quietly. "Thank you, Hunter."

He smiled gently, tucking a strand of her hair behind her ear. "Anything for you, my darling."

She sighed slightly, looking down. "God, I feel awful."

"It's okay. I'll take care of you now, alright?"

"Mama!" Spencer toddled in and tried to climb onto the bed. Hunter picked him up with a small chuckle.

"Now, now, darling. You'll get sick if you go close to Mama right now," said Hunter, kissing his cheek. "Blow her a kiss now, go on!"