Chapter Thirty-Five

❝news (pronouncednjuːz or nyooz), noun
information not previously known to (someone).❞

"Hello?"

"Jessie-" Hunter took a deep breath, and tried again. "Jessie, I need to talk to Ryan right now."

"What? Is everything okay?"

"No, please, just give it to her."

She nodded, and went to Ryan's room, where she was sleeping again. She rubbed her eyes, sitting up. "Who is it?"

"Hunter. It sounds urgent."

She picked up. "Hunt?"

"Oh- Oh God, Ry-" She could hear him crying, and there were voices in the background.

"Hunt? What's wrong?" she asked, her blood running cold.

"It's Elle- Elle's just collapsed, we're on our way back to Nashville-"

"Collapsed?"

"She's been hiding them from me, she didn't tell me- oh God, Ry-"

"Hunter, calm down. What's going on?"

"I think she's relapsing. She said her head was hurting, and she collapsed, and she's been hiding bruises all over her arms and legs- I think she's relapsing, Ry, I'm so scared."

"How are you getting back to Nashville?"

"Airplane. We've got a flying doctor's service- it'll cost a fortune, but I'm not risking it. Her doctor is in Nashville, I'm going back to someone we know."

"How long will you be?"

"Not long now, twenty minutes. I couldn't get ahold of you-"

"Don't worry about that now. I'm coming to the hospital," she said, immediately shrugging on a jacket. "I'll be there when you get there, alright? Please, just stay calm. Has she woken up?"

"Yeah, a couple of times, but she's slipping in and out of consciousness- I'm so scared, Ry-"

"Wait 'til I get there. It'll be okay." She hung up and went to Jessie, who looked up. "What was wrong?"

"Elle seems to have relapsed, she's coming back to Nashville with Hunter-"

"What?!"

"She collapsed apparently, he found bruises-"

Drew stood up. "Wait, Ellie's- no!"

"She's coming back to Nashville now, Drew-"

"I told her to tell him! I told her to tell him the bruises were coming back!"

"You knew?!"

"I knew, of course I knew! She tells me everything," he said, wringing his hands. "Ryan, I'm coming with you. I'll drive."

"But-"

"You have your license, so I'm allowed to drive. You can't drive in your state, I-"

"Drew, you knew Elle might be relapsing-"

"Mom, I'm sorry, but this isn't the time for this conversation," he said. "Come on, Ryan!"

Ryan looked at Jessie, who nodded. "I'll look after the kids, don't worry."

"Alright, then." She took a deep breath. "Let's go, Drew."

<><><><><><><><>

Hunter paced the waiting room, making other people waiting anxious. He couldn't stop blaming himself. He had noticed how pale she had been, how often she wore long sleeves and scarves to hide the bruises, how she always seemed so ill.