Part 26

When I woke up the next morning, we were in New Orleans and had the day off. I dragged myself into my hotel room to shower and to find a way entertain myself for the day. I was used to being alone. Everything would be fine.

I was becoming an expert at finding tours and I found a tour of the swamps of New Orleans that would take 4 fours. I just had to take a taxi to the French Quarter to meet the tour. No problem. I bought a ticket, braided my hair, hoping to hide the fact that it was blue, grabbed my hat and headed out. I really missed my brown hair.

The taxi dropped me off and I waited for the tour bus. As I was waiting, someone sat next to me and handed me a coffee. I didn't even want to look up. "I knew you'd be here. Swamp tour, right? I watched you leave and I just knew. I've got a ticket, too. Bought my own this time. Cafe Mocha, extra shot of chocolate, only one shot of espresso." Liam had a smug look on his face. I grabbed the coffee, turned away and crossed my legs. Liam just sat back, arms in the back of the bench.

When the bus pulled up, I got on, Liam following me. I sat down and he sat next to me. I looked out the window, Liam looked at me. We got on the boat, Liam again, sitting next to me while I refused to talk to him. The tour guide talked to us about the swamp, the people who lived there and the animals. Alligators started to show up and we could feed them. I walked over to the edge and looked down. Liam went and got a stick with food stuck on it and brought it over. I was afraid, but Liam stood behind me and held the stick with me. The alligator snapped the food off the stick causing me to scream and jump. Liam wrapped his arms around me, laughing. "This is why I love you." he whispered in my ear. "You are funny." I just huffed, pushing him away.

Later, we got to hold baby alligators. Liam took pictures of me and I took pictures of him. By the end of the tour, I was giving in and having fun. He was good company. Being with him was easy and natural. There was just no denying it, I loved him, being around him, spending time with him. Life was completely unfair.

When we got back to the French Quarter, Liam took me to dinner and insisted that we try fried alligator tail. He liked it. "It tastes like chicken!" he declared, eating almost all of it, leaving me only one piece that I didn't want anyhow. Liam paid the bill while I went to find a cab. He returned to me, carrying a giant stuffed alligator. "For your collection." he said, grinning at me. I smiled at him and leaned in, letting him kiss me.

When the cab pulled up to the hotel, I got out and went in, straight to the elevator. Liam had to run to catch me. He jumped into the elevator, just before the doors closed. He pushed me up against the wall, trying to kiss me. "Someone will see us. Get off." I said. "I was nice to you all day, but for all you know, Sophia has spies. Just please, please. Stop."

He leaned his forehead against mine. "Do you want me to stop?" I looked into his eyes. I couldn't lie to him, to those eyes. He leaned down, kissing me, softly at first, then deepening the kiss, leaving me weak in the knees. The elevator arrived at the floor, dinging as the door opened. I ducked under his arm and hurried out the door and into my own room, not looking back.

I went to sleep that night, clinging to my alligator. I'm not sure what time it was, but Liam climbed into bed with me, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me to him. I was groggy and disoriented. "What...?" I started.

"Shhh...." he said. "I just want to hold you. Max let me in. I caught her sneaking into Harry's room and made her give me the room key. I told her I would tell Benny. She folded." he laughed lightly in my ear.

"Max? Harry?" I said.

He pulled me under his chin, putting his nose in my hair. "She hasn't told you because she feels bad. She doesn't want to be happy when you are so sad. I don't want you to be sad. I'm not worth being sad over. Stop being sad."