Part 9

Liam and I sat on the couch. We watched a movie from the beginning to the end, a long one, Pearl Harbor, keeping to our World War 2 theme. He held my hand. He didn't try to kiss me. He didn't try to put his arm around me. When the movie was over, he walked me back to my own room. "Will you ride the bus with me tomorrow? It's only a few hours, just to DC. Please?"

"Sure." I said, turning my face up, inviting a kiss. Liam leaned down, put his hand on the back of my neck and kissed me softly, carefully, before breaking away. I opened the door to the suite and slipped in, not wanting to wake anyone.

Liam: Are you ready to go? The buses are waiting.

Beth: I'm already on my bus.

Liam: Well, do you want me to come get you?

Beth: No. Nobody on this bus likes you.

Liam: *sad face*

Beth: Well, it is your own fault. You can't call people names and expect them to like you. I'll walk to you.

Liam: I'm sorry. I was just angry. And the other stuff was just stuff guys say to each other. We are sick in the head.

I left our bus and headed to his. He was waiting outside the door. I grabbed his hand and walked up the bus steps. Lou was waiting at the top. "Uh, I just want..wanted to say...Sorry?"

"Don't tell me, tell them. And, no. Their pubic hair doesn't match the hair on their heads. Except maybe Max? I think she shaves it all off, so I guess it is pink." Lou's mouth dropped open and he turned red. I pushed him aside and went right to Liam's bunk. I knew it wasn't Louis' fault, but I also didn't want to forgive him, either.

Liam climbed in the bunk after me. "Well, that was mean."

"Well, I haven't even begun to punish you, so watch out." I told him. Liam looked scared. I didn't smile. "Pick a movie. It's your turn."

Liam nodded. "Well, I've been thinking about this. We are still doing the World War 2 thing, right? So, I did some research. I picked 'The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.' It was listed as one of the best movies about the holocaust." I agreed and he played the movie. It was the saddest, most heartbreaking movie I have ever seen. All of the death. All of the senseless death. I was sobbing, hysterical, I can't even breath sobbing before the movie was even over. Liam turned it off and wrapped his arms around me. "It's okay, Beth. It's just a movie."

"It's based on a true story!" I sobbed. I was a complete mess. Make up running down my face, snot running out of my nose, mess. I curled myself into him, trying to breath. I must have fallen asleep, because the next thing I knew, we were in DC. We climbed off the bus, me not even bothering to look in a mirror.

"What did you do now?" Max screamed at Liam. Liam looked at me and I looked back at him.

"Stop. It wasn't him! It was a movie! It made me cry." I hurried onto our bus, scrubbing off the makeup from my cheeks.

"Hey!" I heard Liam call. "Which bunk is yours? I can't figure it out! Is it the empty one?"

That was Benny's bunk. He had never slept in it. Not once. He preferred the back room, making the couch into a bed. "Uh, yes." I said. I could hear Liam moving around. I came out of the bathroom, looking much better, trying to find Liam. "Liam?" I called.

"Up here!" he said. He was in 'Beth's' bunk. "Why don't you have anything? Not even a charger."

"I'm very neat. I keep everything in my bag." I answered. I looked over at my real bunk, bottom right. It was decorated. I had a purple comforter, I had lights shaped like stars and dragonflies strung around. I had pictures of my family suck on the wall. This bus had been my home for more than a year. I wanted to take him to my bunk, but he'd notice the drumsticks and pictures of me, with blue hair. "Come down here."